Vegetarian Family

A Peek @ Food We Eat & Things We Do!

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Trial Run of Leslie's Treats

As I grabbed a granola bar for myself & my daughter, I thought about all the "junk" in them that Leslie talks about - so I decided to try and make some of her PowerHouse Treats (see link below). Thanks, Leslie! I'm eating one as I blog, and it's so good.

Ingredients:
Puffed Rice Cereal
Peanutbutter (I used Adam's)
Shredded Coconut
Carob Chips
Sunflower Seeds
Rolled Oats
Flax Seeds
Agave Nectar & C. Syrup
Organic Dried Blueberries

Lessons Learned:
I didn't add as many ingredients as I'd like, mostly because I want to ease my girls into it using items that I know they'll like. Next time, perhaps I'll add whole cashews & raisins, and I'll definately use brown rice syrup instead of the corn (I'm just trying to use it up from the Peanut "Better" Bars I made recently). I placed some blueberries in the bottom of each muffin tin because I thought it'd be pretty. Next time, I'll stir everything together so that it holds together better.

Overall, I'm really pleased with the results and I'll make them again. I feel much better about giving our family these to snack on. Even using the corn syrup it's a step in the right direction, and I can pronounce all the ingredients!

4 Comments:

Blogger Eat Peace Please said...

Vicki, this is wonderful! They look great, and if I didn't have bright yellow counter tops, I would have thought these were my treats in the pan. I also like using pre-circles with those muffin tins.

I am happy for you that these came out great and you already are thinking about the next batch. Isn't it great when you can pronounce all the ingredients, and if you can't, you look it up and soon learn that it comes from some exotic plant in a beautiful place?!?! Or am I just food-crazy and weird?!

Sometimes I put so many ingredients in the treats (up to 20 or so) that the flavors mix. It's not a bad thing, but I think of the cost and then I think about "theming" my treats. I like the idea of the blueberries on top (and next time inside) but how are you keeping them from running? Are they dried?

Way to go! I'd like to see some other versions when you get around to them. How old are your children?

11:47 AM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

Hi Leslie: Your treats were fun to make! The blueberries are dried, so they aren't messy. My girls are 3 & 1, which kinda limits the time I can spend in the kitchen...

7:54 AM  
Blogger Flo @ Yielded Heart said...

This is a great post, Vicki. Did they come out easily from the dish for you?

Wow! I love homemade treats, too, and guess who got me started on this?

Now, I am seriously thinking of hosting a "healthy snack/treat making day" on my blog. What do you think?

5:34 PM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

Hi Kaivegan: Thanks for coming by. The treats came out of the pan beautifully - I only lightly sprayed the bottoms. I would like to be part of your healthy snack exchange...what a fun way to find new healthy yummies to make! :o)

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home