Vegetarian Family

A Peek @ Food We Eat & Things We Do!

Monday, July 03, 2006

Lots of Vegan Food

These are 'Wolffie's Banana Blueberry Muffins' from La Dolce Vegan! This recipe calls for one cup blueberries, fresh or frozen. After eating our fill of fresh blueberries from the farmer's market, we didn't have a cup left. So I added some fresh cherries to fill up the measuring cup. There is only 2 tablespoons of molasses in this recipe, but that flavor is very strong and also gives the muffins a brown color. They were good.




The yellow peppers are ready to go in the oven for the 'Roasted Yellow Pepper Sauce' from Vive le Vegan! I made our sauce on the thicker side, and it was perfect for the bean & rice cakes and chimichangas below...








'Celebrity Adzuki Bean and Rice Cakes' from Vive le Vegan! served with the yellow pepper sauce and fresh tomato. I soaked the adzuki beans overnight and cooked the brown sweet rice. The next day, I made the rice & bean mixture and refrigerated overnight. The day after that, I made the cakes you see here! This was quite a process, but well worth it.




Here you see 'Chickpea Ratatouille' from Vive le Vegan! Dreena suggests making burritos with any leftovers, which got me thinking... After the ratatouille finished cooking & cooling, I mashed the chickpeas up a bit, put 2 scoops on flour tortillas, rolled up the burritos, placed them seam-side down in a dish, then covered and put in the freezer. After the burritos were frozen, I transferred them to a plastic bag for cooking later.




When we want a chickpea ratatouille chimichanga, I just defrost for a couple minutes, then brown in some vegetable oil. They are served with the roasted yellow pepper sauce and some grilled summer squash & carrots. I will be making these frozen burritos again! They are a warm, hearty, meal in a pinch.





Farmer's Market Booty gets Jolie's sniff of approval:

Cherries
kohlrabi
Blueberries
Sugar Snap Peas
Snow Peas
Summer Squash
Purple Kale
Collard Greens

& Oregano + Chive plants for the garden

I was thinking stir-fry, but Art requested steamed veggies instead ~ I'm so glad he did because it was easier to prepare, more healthy, and there was nothing to cover up the natural flavors. I cleaned and prepared the veggies: broccoli, carrots, sugar snap peas, kohlrabi, summer squash, purple kale, & collard greens. Then, I put them in the steamer with some sea salt, water, & Earth Balance. Art made the risotto with some collard greens to flavor it along with sea salt, Earth Balance, and tamari. I needed something to compliment the grain, so I added some sesame oil & hoisin sauce to the left-over adzuki beans and made kind of a refried dish. We loved this meal! We especially loved the fresh, steamed veggies.

After all that, it was time for something sweet. This is 'Chocolate-Rum Pudding Cake' from Vegan with a Vengeance. Well sort of...I didn't have rum extract, so I substituted almond extract. And, I didn't have 1/4 C. light rum, so I skipped it. This was a very rich, decadent cake which I'll be making it again. I'll make sure that I have the rum next time, and I'll probably make it in individual serving dishes. It'd be appropriate for company ~ it's kinda fancy & impressive.

This'll be my last post from home for a while. We are heading to California ~ the land of sea, sun & fun! I hope to meet up with KleoPatra and also go to some of the restaurants that Shannon mentioned recently in her "What Should I Order" post. I'll have a laptop and will be checking in with you, and posting some of our experiences too. See ya on the road!


19 Comments:

Blogger Dreena said...

Cooking Bonanza, Vicki! Wow!! You know I never thought of serving the yellow pepper sauce with the ratatouille burrito leftovers - and I love the idea - will have to do it myself!! I like the chimichanga variation too - will also be on my to-do's!

Don't you LOVE summer trips to the farmers' markets?? I got the biggest, most beautiful heads of lettuce this week, and sui choi, and berries and cherries - all so full of flavor and colors, ahhhh!

Enjoy your time in California... oh, I'm envious, all the fab veg spots there. We'll want to hear about it all! Enjoy your break!
D.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Crystal said...

Wow, lots of cooking. Jealous! I wish I was home to be able to do that. I'm kinda getting sick of the food in Atlanta. Downtown doesn't have much to offer besides pizza, fast food, burger joints, etc. Oh well, have to enjoy the experience while I can. Stocked up on Odwalla juices and fruit!!

-Crystal

10:26 AM  
Blogger Everyday Superhero said...

Have a fabulous trip!
No vacations for us this year because we had to (literally) pay for the roof over our heads. I look forward to hearing all about your fun in the sun.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Regina said...

All of your food looks soooooooo delicious! Makes my mouth water. Especially that chocolate rum pudding cake. I'm a sucker for anything chocolate!

I hope you have a fab time in Cali! Be safe!

1:30 PM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

What a bunch of great, great food! That cake is like wow!!! Nice chimichangas... you must be gettin' ready for the CA trip. Can't wait to hear about it, and of course i am looking forward to meeting and hanging out with you! YAY!

Is Jolie staying with friends? She is so cute, i wish you could bring her. Mattie would love to play...

5:13 PM  
Blogger Eat Peace Please said...

Vicki, this is INCREDIBLE!!! What a feast you have going on here. I wish I was in your family this week!

As for the Celeb. Cakes, I've wanted to know what those "look" like as they have sounded good to me since I got the book. All this food looks incredible and what a last post until you get back. Lots of great stuff to look at and try.

Have a fun vacation (pics!) expect a necklace when you arrive home.

12:06 AM  
Blogger Dr. Melissa West said...

Food looks amazing. Have a great vacation!

3:53 AM  
Blogger MeloMeals said...

Have a great vacation! The foods looks absolutely delicious... I adore steamed veggies too... that's how I ate all my veggies growing up and they are soo good that way. Simple and yummy.

The make ahead burritos/chimichagas are awesome.. isn't it great to go to your own freezer and take out some "fast food"? I've wondered about that Rum Cake recipe.. I rarely use alcohol in any of my cooking/baking.. but that sounds so good.. so you think that if I make it, I should get the rum?

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my goodness...you have been really busy! It all looks amazing. I'm especially intrigued by the banana blueberry muffins as I really like those flavours together.

I can't beleive you're going to visit kleopatra...how fun!?! Did you guys meet via bloging or do you already know each other?

6:41 PM  
Blogger urban vegan said...

i feel so inadequate. Wow--if you have any leftovers, you can send 'em my way ;) Have a great trip.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

dang. that's a LOT of cooking. you're amazing. and you're coming to california!!! i wish i were down south...i'd come see you too Vicki...poop.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Carrie™ said...

Vicki, I've been so busy with work, I haven't been able to check in on everyone for a few days. Look what I missed! You were busy.

I have to start with that cake. It looks so dark and chocolatey. Wow! I tried Dreena's Celebrity Cakes and the yellow pepper sauce and we really liked them. It did take a bit of time, but if you do it in steps over a day or so, it's nothin'! I cooked mine while I talked to my mom on the phone. I love that sauce! It's so bright and pretty. The recipes made a lot so we have leftovers in the freezer.
I also want to try the chickpea ratatouille. It sounds so delicious. And the kicker...fresh steamed veggies...mmmmmmmm!!
Enjoy your trip. Say "HI!" to Kleopatra for me. Can't wait to hear of your adventures.

5:11 AM  
Blogger Dori said...

I've been eyeballing those celebrity cakes because I bought a litle bag of adzukibeans awhile ago that I have yet to be inspired to cook.
I'm sure you'll have a great CA time! I dream of the restuarants I see blogged about there. Have a great break!

10:55 AM  
Blogger Shananigans said...

That yellow pepper sauce looks really amazing, how unique. I’m in favor of anything Mexican, those chimis are right up my alley. Hope you’re enjoying Cali and get out to try some of the amazing food. Lord knows you cook enough at home, must be nice to dine out for a while on vacation!

4:14 PM  
Blogger turquoise cro said...

Godspeed Vicki! and I MUST have that recipe for that Rum pudding cake!!! MMMMMmmmm Have lots of FUN!!! xoxoxxo

10:33 PM  
Blogger t. said...

Manna!!!
Everything looks more good than anything I ever made almost!
I do a similar cake and just by looking at yours I am getting super hungry!

1:39 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

those muffins are really good. i make them every time a friend or neighbour has a new baby. simple, healthy, delish!

5:46 AM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

Hello EVerybody! We are having a great time ~ though there has been no cooking going on, there has been plenty of eating. I plan to blog in the next day or so about a couple outstanding meals we've had.

Last night, we saw "An Inconvenient Truth" and if you haven't seen it yet, GO. Then, visit:
http://www.climatecrisis.net

I plan on hitting your blogs to see what's cookin' with you.

I can't beleive you're going to visit kleopatra...how fun!?! Did you guys meet via bloging or do you already know each other?

We met blogging! I've never met a better bunch of people that I've never met before!!! :o)

10:57 AM  
Blogger funwithyourfood said...

AWW you're here in California? I JUST got back from NY. MAN I missed hanging out with you and KLEO? that stinks beyond all belief- DANG IT!

Teddy

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home