Vegetarian Family

A Peek @ Food We Eat & Things We Do!

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Party Planning & on the side

Last night, all 5 party planners were here to talk details of Lora's baby shower. Teri made two batches of the punch for us to preview & sample (champagne, club soda, blackberry brandy, bitters & an lemon-ice ring) We liked it! I made 2 appetizers for snacking. Dreena's 'Cannellini Bean Yam Hummus' -- but I messed around with the recipe too much. The only white beans I had were Great Northern, and I used chipotle hot sauce (what the recipe calls for) instead of dry chipotle spice, which I prefer. I didn't have pinenuts or cilantro and so sprinkled almond slices on top with garden fresh tomatoes. Not the usual "WoW" of the dip.

Another repeat recipe was 'Classic Pesto' from VwaV, featuring tomatoes from the garden and walnuts from our trees. I did too much tinkering with this dish also. I decided that I wanted to double it, which is easy enough except I didn't have enough basil. Forging ahead, I added the optional nutritional yeast. The plate was empty at the end of the evening, but I knew it could have been tastier. A friend (omni) borrowed my VwaV & noticed the look of hesitation on my face upon handing it over - No..really, I'll be OK without it for a week. :o)

We've been enjoying the bicycle trailer my neighbor loaned us. A nice man took our photo at the park, and now I know why I don't turn my camera that way. We're going to take it out for a spin again today -- my plan is to map out a bicycle route for a house guest who'll be with us this weekend. He used to work at Mother's Market in Irvine, so I want to pick his brain and see if I can squeeze a recipe out of him. I also hope to cook something special, but I don't know what!


14 Comments:

Blogger Mikaela said...

You seem a little anxious, messin' around with recipes and whatnot ;)

Have a fun biking!

11:27 AM  
Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

that's funny...i'd hesitate too only becuase i HATE lending out books. i just plan on never seeing it again. and that is ever so important of a book.

i need one of those trailers for kody & betsy. but your kids look great in it too!

2:25 PM  
Blogger Cherie Anderson said...

I love pesto; those look awesome!

3:52 PM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

hi jam*tacular: byw - that is such a cool handle! & how perceptive you are. :o) thanks for dropping by.

hi tk: the only reason i hesitated loaning is because one week is a long time w/o vwav food! LOL! she's a dear friend & is totally good for it (i know where she lives - he he) and, as she correctly pointed out, it would encourage me to try other cookbooks. i pulled la dolce vegan off the shelf for the first time in a while...

you should definately get a bike trailer for your pooches - i see dogs in them cruising around all the time. it's soo cute & the dogs LOVE it too. art & i are talking about getting another one for our jolie-joe.

hi cherie: i just finished snacking on some left-over pesto on french bagette & i feel differently -- it's really good. maybe my mood, or maybe because it has been in the fridge over night??

4:12 PM  
Blogger Teen Vegan said...

I could never give up my VwaV book; you're a much stronger person then I am! lol :)

The pesto looks delicious... and the whole dish seems like a very creative bruschetta, which is awesome. I could eat my weight in bruschetta!

5:38 PM  
Blogger MeloMeals said...

Oh.. that takes me back. We used to trek our kids around in a Burley Trailer all the time... everywhere when the weather was nice. It seems like yesterday. damn.. where does time go? Now they are 13 and almost 15..

Food looks great! I think I'd like that hummus better with almonds.. but I will make it once just like the recipe says.

6:34 PM  
Blogger urban vegan said...

good times. and good food.

7:07 PM  
Blogger Dori said...

The pesto looks good. I have never made pesto before, but I'm really hoping to do something with it before the end of the summer. Your little tomato topped appetizers sure look pretty. Love the bike cart too! Your girls look they they are enjoying the ride. (oh ouch I have a crook in my neck... no just kidding) :)

8:58 PM  
Blogger funwithyourfood said...

oh you met someone who used to work at mothers? how cool. Let me know what you can get outta him hehe ;)

Teddy

10:58 PM  
Blogger village mama said...

You might want to make your house guest some of those great looking Miso-Curry spuds, plus, don't forget, you've got tons of Seitan in the freezer. Happy bicycle route mapping today!

5:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The food looks amazing, your dip might not have been as good as usual but a wonderful presentation, that's for sure.

Love your blog, Thanks for stopping by Veggies and BFN, G

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everything is arranged so nicely :)It's funny how one can mess with a recipe and be worried about how it turns out but usually the guests never even notice something isn't 100% to your liking.

9:15 AM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

You are so cute, Vicki, and the kids look nice 'n' snug in there!! Cozy, cozy! Nice biking gear and all. Love all the red, red, red tomatoes in your photos. Yummy!

12:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » » »

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home