Vegetarian Family

A Peek @ Food We Eat & Things We Do!

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Scones, Nectardew, & Nature

These are 'Glazed Orange Scones' from VwaV. This was my second time making them. But the first time, I used other citrus and also had fabulous results. Isa says the dough should be clumpy and not sticky. Mine was super-duper sticky both times. I just flour the cutting board really well & it works out fine. I made these again because I'm thinking about making them for a friend's baby shower - but, it's not until the end of the month, and I'm open to other amazing vegan party bread type things. Any ideas?!


Here's another hybrid, it's called a nectarine honeydew, and would have fit right in with my last post about artichoke zucchini. You can check this interesting article about hybrid fruits. I enjoyed this fruit almost as much as a regular nectarine. Whereas, the artichoke zucchini was a little weird -- I missed the ritualistic dipping of the artichoke leaves; and squash texture seemed strange with the artichoke flavor. I do recommend this though, and the window of opportunity is very short, so hurry if your going to try this new fruit.


Look, I caught a bee in our backyard pollinating the old fashioned way.











And, here's a volunteer butterfly bush. I want to transplant it to another spot, but I'm afraid I'll kill it. So it just keeps getting bigger, in the wrong place.










Can you believe a volunteer hydrangea? I absolutely love these flowers. We have another plant that has refused to blossom for past three years. I've tried everything, and still the healthy appearing plant never has flowers. So, I'm thrilled that at a completely different location, this flower pops up!





Liv and I enjoyed observing a preying mantis today. The praying mantis ambushes its prey and captures it with its spiny forelegs. A mantis feeds on all types of insects, including other mantises. The female praying mantis is widely known for her peculiar habit of biting the head off her partner while they are mating. The cannibalistic habits of praying mantises ensure that they remain solitary creatures.



17 Comments:

Blogger KleoPatra said...

Vicki, woah... a nectarine honeydew? Is that for real?! That looks so cool (love the mosaic tile background too, btw) and i can't even imagine the flavour! I wonder where i can get my paws one on of these little guys?

Nice shot of the bee and let's hear it for volunteer bushes!! But the coolest photo to me, even tho you know i love those scones and the flowers are gorgeous and bright and i'm drooling over that fruit, is of the praying mantis. That is SO cool. I love those green guys and you really captured him nicely. (Or is that a her? Maybe you can let us know if you see this one mating... we'll see which one yells, "Off with yer head!")

Picked up to-go bowls of wok fried drunken noodles w/"chicken" and in your and Art's honour (and also because i love it so), sweet 'n' sour "chicken" last night at SIPZ for a late dinner i had with Peter. Sooooooooooooo good, Vicki...

Have a great weekend!

1:23 AM  
Blogger Dr. Melissa West said...

Those orange glazed scones look delish. You have inspired me to make them. Must get oranges!

4:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting that article on the hybrid fruit. That nectarine honeydew sounds and looks delish. Loved all the pretty pictures from your backyard. The flowers are gorgeous.

I didn't realize VwaV had a scone recipe. LOL I'm going to have to try that recipe. Ever since I got my scone pan, I'm on a scone-a-palooza spree.

For party breads, I have a recipe for Maraschino Cherry Nut Bread if you want. I don't know if you have a Trader Joes where you are, but they sell a maraschino cherry that's not made with all those scary food colorings and additives. I also have ones for Orange Blueberry Bread or Orange Pecan Bread (can you tell I like orange flavored breads? LOL)LMK if you want me send the recipes to try out.

5:33 AM  
Blogger Catherine Weber said...

Vicki, I'd say go with the orange scones -- people make muffins and quick breads all the time. Scones are fancy party food, for sure! :)

6:22 AM  
Blogger urban vegan said...

Those VWAV scones are the best, aren't they? I made them with lemon.

Thanks for giving us a look at your personal wild kingdom. Gorgeous!

7:29 AM  
Blogger Carrieā„¢ said...

OK, now I have to make those scones. They caught my eye when I first skimmed through the book and twice now you've featured them and they have an excellent drool factor.
Interesting fruit. I don't care for melons of any kind. No, not even watermelon, but it's amazing what science can do, isn't it? I've seen orange cauliflower at the grocery store.
Your flowers are gorgeous!! Nice photos.

7:35 AM  
Blogger Dori said...

Matt wanted to make those scones, but we had fresh blueberries to use up, so we tried another recipe. Great garden pictures. The praying mantis... wow, it turned out so close up and clear!

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so...do they taste like nectarines or honeydews?

6:08 AM  
Blogger funwithyourfood said...

I like the idea of hybrid friut but I've never seen any here.
When i was a kid i always used to play with grasshoppers and praying mantis' out in Virginia. Those were some fun times

Teddy

12:28 PM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

hey kleo: keep your eyes peeled - i found this nectardew in a conventional grocery store. the sweet & sour chicken - man that stuff is soo GOOD! you're lucky to have that restaurant.

hi dragonslayer: it was a complete fluke that we had the oranges in the house - the band left them behind. i'm an orange snob - we'd get the best oranges on earth at the hollywood farmer's market from the stehley ranch in fillmore - if we can't have those, then none at all!

hi vegandiva: i'd love to have a scone pan - whata great device - i know it works well because i saw your chocolate chip scones recently. oooh, your bread ideas sound amazing. especially the cherry nut - art could drop into trader joes next week for me. i'll be over to snoop your recipes soon! :o)

hi catherine: thanks for your visit - i may just do that, especially if i can't find time to test another recipe..

hi urbanvegan: i remember your lemon scones - they are what inspired me to make the citrus scones! delish.

hi carrie: what the... orange cauliflower? whoaa, that sounds very interesting.

hi dori: i saw your son's blueberry creations - still thinking about the lemon waffles w/blueberry. lemon is the best! you're lucky to have kids that like to cook with & for you. :o)

hi megan: they taste more like a nectarine -- a more mellow nectarine.

hi teddy: you like the idea of hybrid fruit? i'm not quite sure what to think of it - it's is a novelty, but i'm a bit skeptical for some reason. why?

thanks for visiting everybody, i sure enjoy reading your comments! :o)

1:58 PM  
Blogger Kuntal Joisher said...

those scones look awesome..

Heres one of my bee shots I took a while ago :-)

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5747/962/1600/honeybee1.jpg

4:59 PM  
Blogger Mikaela said...

I like your Praying Mantis photo, too :)

11:26 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

The nectarine honeydew looks good. Honeydew is my favorite fruit and among my favorite foods! I haven't seen many hybrid fruits around here, but I did get a purple cauliflower at the farmer's market. It was very different that white cauliflower-more bitter and had a more crunchy, hard texture. I prefer white cauliflower, but the purple was such a pretty color.

11:59 AM  
Blogger Hybee said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:48 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Sheesh, Hybee keeps signing me in as her, so that was my deleted comment under her name. :-P

Anyway, what I wanted to say (as Elizabeth, not Hybee) was thanks for adding my new blog to your links! I've been thinking to add your blog to my links, since I enjoy your blog so much. You beat me to the punch, I guess. :-) It'll be on the main blog, though, because I'm keeping all my links there for now.

5:50 PM  
Blogger laura k said...

I love bees. What a great shot! You have such a pretty array of flowers in your backyard... Thanks for sharing!

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, the scones look amazing. Great post and photos. I will be back soon and often.

Huggs, G :)

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home