Vegetarian Family

A Peek @ Food We Eat & Things We Do!

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Kale, Lemon Berry Muffins, & Biscuit Casserole Stew

Dinner was kale, plain quinoa with Earth Balance, and Blackeyed Peas with a touch of cayenne.

Vicki's Kale Recipe:

1 bunch kale, spine removed chopped in strips
1/2 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves fresh garlic
1/4 c. olive oil, extra virgin
1/2 c. water
1 tbsp. bragg's
sea salt
3/4 tsp. hoisin sauce

Saute onion and garlic in olive oil until translucent. Add kale, water, bragg's & sea salt. cover and cook until the kale is wilted and the water is almost gone. when there's still a little water left, add the hoisin sauce and stir together. Serve warm with lemon. Kale is a house favorite!


This is basically 'Lemon-Poppy Seed Muffins' from VwaV, except I replaced the poppy seeds with blueberries, and also used raspberry soy yogurt instead of plain. Art said, "These are vegan?! Wow, they are great muffins!" I agree, but next time, I will add more than just 2 lemons worth of zest. I like it zesty!







This is left-over collard greens from another meal. I used a recipe from The Vegan Family Cookbook 'Greens with Onions & Garlic', which didn't impress either of us -- hence, the left-overs....we always finish our greens! So I took the left-overs and chopped them up fine to use for a different recipe from from the same cookbook. See below....




'Biscuit Casserole Stew' from The Vegan Family Cookbook was a huge hit! I didn't have carrots for this dish, so I decided to give the collards a second chance in the stew. I made the stew out of new potatoes, collard greens, split pea soup, vegetable broth, and other good things. Then, before it goes in the oven, you drop 15 uncooked biscuit dough balls on top of the stew. This medium scoop from Pampered Chef made the job easy & fun.



Here it is out of the oven. This was a delicious and satisfying meal - one that will go into the regular rotation.











13 Comments:

Blogger funwithyourfood said...

When i first read the title i thought KALE MUFFINS- that's new! haha

Teddy

7:13 AM  
Blogger jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

What an intense stew! I'm with Teddy, I totally thought you had kale muffins going on, but blueberry is even better. Thanks for the tip with the hoisin sauce in the kale!

8:38 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

that blue plate is BEAUTYful! that stew looks yummy too!

11:14 AM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

I love how you recycled your greens! Way to go.

The bottom photos of the biscuit casserole stew look like matzoh ball soup, if you know what that is!!

Whose hands are grabblin' a muffin there? I would so replace poppy seeds with blueberries in every possible instance, by the way.

Nice scooper there, Vicki. I have a cheapie one from Big Lots that i hardly ever use!

And, not as an afterthought but just to reiterate... everything looks yummy!!

12:28 PM  
Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

Wow. that looks very comforting, warming and delcious!!!

really. and who doesn't love biscuits in like anything?

1:56 PM  
Blogger MeloMeals said...

Love your creative use of the greens... that looks amazing. Split peas, greens and biscuits.. I can't think of something more comforting.

Your kale recipe at top looks wonderful. Kale and hoisin pair together so well... my dirty little secret.. in a hurry, I make ramen noodles and top them with stir fried kale and tofu with garlic, ginger, hot peppers and hoisen. When I make this my kids and husband bow down to me. How sad is that?

re: Habanero sauce.. I'll be making some soon and will post the recipe. (I make it in huge, large batches and never write down how I do it, and I'm almost out of my freezer stash, so I'm thinking Saturday will be a good day to make more. I'm going to make a small batch so I can post a recipe that will work for most people.

Have you posted your habanero jelly recipe? That sounds amazing.

I love to mix my sauce with strawberries and serve them over french fries or sweet potato fries. It is insane how good it is.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Eat Peace Please said...

Whoa, those biscuits look incredible. I don't know if I've ever had biscuits like this (or any really) but the split pea concoction sounds and looks awesome. I like your kale recipe, it's so much jazzier than mine, and I am going to try that one soon. And those muffins, of course they're good! What you used as replacers is a great idea.

4:17 PM  
Blogger urban vegan said...

Biscuit Casserole Stew looks yummy and fun to make.

6:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my mouth is particularly watering over the blueberry muffins (my utlimate muffin) and the casserole. Looks yum!

7:36 PM  
Blogger Luna said...

hi vicki, back home?the "Biscuit Casserole Stew" seems to be great, even though i'm not sure about what "biscuits" are...sweet?salty? and i love the necklace and bracelet Leslie sent to you, i saw the others jewels in her page, she surely has a gift :-)thanks for passing by my blog, i finally had my last exam on monday, so now i'm realxing a little bit, before i have to start running again for my finals in end august.And we've been so excited for winning the football world cup!Italy was painted in red-green-white flashes, flags waving everywhere :-)
by the way, inspired by your never-ending recipe testing and recipe making, i went to the local "natural" shop,and asked for:
"egg replacer">they've never heard about it;
"agave nectar">nobody asks for it so they don't have it;
"soymilk ice-crem">only vanilla flavour;
"coconut milk">they told me to go to the asian store(but i finally found it at the supermarket,"blue dragon" coconut milk, extremely expensive in my opinion, but really good, and i used it for a really smooth banana-vanilla shake !)

i'll post soon some pics of venice, i had my camera this time ;-)
ciao ciao

5:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That stew looks great. I just requested that cookbook from the library. The muffins look delicious too, and I like that you replaced poppy seeds with blueberries. I like my lemon stuff very lemony, too.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

melody: thanks for sharing your dirty little secret - who could resist the family bowing down? thanks for the heads up on your habanero sauce...i'll be right over. i blogged my habanero jelly a while back, but don't remember is the recipe is up?

luna: biscuits are a small, soft, raised bread, & a bit denser. not sweet, nor salty really - plain bread.
congrats on having some time off & it must be so festive & energetic in italy right now. enjoy that.
your banana-vanilla shake sounds wonderful. bummer you can't find more of the groceries you're looking for...
oooh, i'll be over to check out those photos you took in venice! i can't wait to see those. thanks for coming by, i always enjoy your comments.
ciao ciao

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Just came across your blog. I've been eyeing that Biscuit Casserole stew recipe for a while. It calls for split pea soup. Did you use a ready made canned soup? If so which brand as I don't remember of a brand that was vegan. I guess you could make your own soup too but that would just be an extra step wouldn't it? :)

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home