Vegetarian Family

A Peek @ Food We Eat & Things We Do!

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Easter Craft

Self-Hardening Salt Clay:

Ingredients:
1.5 C Salt
4 C Flour
1.5 C H2O

Tools:
Rolling Pin
Cookie Cutters
Chop Stick (or other poking device)
Paint
Embellishments
Ribbon

Process:
Flex your muscle, and stir it all together. Roll it out to desired thickness and begin pressing cookie cutters. Since this is an Easter craft, we used bunny rabbits, butterflys, hearts, and flower cookie cutters. Remember that if you want to hang it up by a ribbon, you'll need to poke a hole in the cookie before it bakes. Bake @ 300* for 30-40 minutes, or until hard.

Before you begin painting, use a chop stick to make sure the hole for the ribbon is passable. Now you are ready to decorate your cookie keepsake....go to town & have fun with it! Just put down a towel or old tablecloth to catch the spills. Paint & let dry. Then embellish with what you have on hand. We happened to have squiggly eyes, glitter glue, & paint this time. In the past, we've used crayons, markers, sequins, buttons, and watercolors.
(I don't recommend watercolors because it makes the cookie too soggy) Thread the ribbon through the hole and tie in a knot. Several strung together makes a cute decoration. Spray with acrylic spray if you want it to last forever.

We have made these for personalized party favors, place tags, Christmas ornaments, Halloween treats, and they have even been seen hanging from our chandeliers and window handles. This time, I just wrote the girls' names & the year on the back with a Sharpie for a memento of the holiday & hung them up in our kitchen window.

PS: I figured this would be an appropriate post for a food blog since I'm working with flour/salt/water....And an added bonus is that since these cookies aren't to be eaten, it is totally Low-Cal! Also, let's consider this a vegan recipe since some eggs might be spared by doing this craft instead of the traditional. Happy Easter.






6 Comments:

Blogger Dori said...

I love salt dough. We have many creations still in the bottom of our christmas box from a couple of years ago when our whole plus extended family got into a salt dough creations mood.

I read your comment on my blog and chuckled. When you said you bought pasta wrappers on your blog earlier this week I remembered I stuck some in the freezer and that I wanted to try these.

6:01 AM  
Blogger Flo @ Yielded Heart said...

Looks like a lot of fun!

But since flour and water and cookie cutters are used, I'd have a 3 year old wanting to eat them:)

Your dd is also 3, right?

3:37 AM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

Hi Dori! That sounds like fun getting everyone involved with the salt dough...I think they are nice keepsakes. I've been experimenting with the rice wrappers, and they are fun & slippery! I took a tip from your envelope wrap.

Hi Kai! We did have fun, and I know what you mean about a 3 year old wanting to eat them. LOL! Liv is used to it now, and just thinks of it as clay or play-doh. It helps to have another "big ticket" treat around when making them. Yes, Olivia is 3. How old are yours?

2:10 PM  
Blogger Flo @ Yielded Heart said...

Aliyah is 8, Zurielle is 3 and Lyrica is 1.

We don't have playdough in the house, so when I make anything that involves dough or kneading, I give Zurielle some salt dough, too and just let her knead. Now that I think about it, I should give her cookie cutters with it!

6:09 AM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

Hi Kai! I wish we lived closer so that we could have a playdate. I have 2 girls (Olivia is 3, & Abigail is 1) I'm not sure if I've met someone yet with kids the same gender/age as mine...that's kinda special! Is Aliyah a good helper with the little ones? Those are such pretty names. :o)

8:08 AM  
Blogger turquoise cro said...

Having FUN!!! aren't you Miss Vicki!!! with the Veg Blog???!!! LOL LOVE those dough ornies!!!!

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home