Vegetarian Family

A Peek @ Food We Eat & Things We Do!

Saturday, June 03, 2006

I *Heart* Dal & Chapatis

This morning, using ingredients I already had in the kitchen I made this up for

1 1/2 C. red lentils
4 C. water
1 C. baby carrots, cut in circles
1/2 C. shallots, finely chopped
1/2 C. tomatoes
basmati rice
2 tbl. olive oil
1/2 tsp. cumin, paprika, turmeric, & ginger
sea salt


1. In a pot, combine lentils with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30-45 minutes. About half way, add the carrots.
2. Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat oil and add shallots and spices; saute for about 2 minutes.
3. When lentils are finished cooking, add salt and shallot-spice mixture.
4. Use a cookie cutter as a stencil for tomatoes to make a heart, and add a circle of basmati rice.
5. Add some homemade Chapatis, this recipe came from 'May All Be Fed' by John Robbins.

7 Comments:

Blogger Eat Peace Please said...

Thanks for the recipe! Awesome photo, Vicki. And isn't it nice when you can just grab stuff you have and create something awesome? Many times I find myself missing critical ingredients.

6:05 PM  
Blogger Carrieā„¢ said...

Very cute! Is the challenge a contest? You should win for being clever. Harmonia is looking for a good dal recipe. I'll tell her about yours. Great post!

9:27 PM  
Blogger Luna said...

hi vicki!what a nice photo!i love lentils,we use to eat them on new year's eve dinner(but not only that day!!) because there's a tradition in southern italy that says that for each lentil you eat you will get a cent ;)
I've eaten them ever since I was a child, but nearly none of my friends knew what lentils were, since lentils have not been used a lot in northern Italy until a few years ago! ! !
Have a nice sunny sunday

1:52 AM  
Blogger funwithyourfood said...

What great presentation!

I'd love to have this for breakfast. It's too cute

Teddy

1:18 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

This dish looks very good Vicki. I have never made a Dal before...that I know of. ;) This recipe would be a good start. Thanks for posting it.

Ryan

1:02 PM  
Blogger Harmonia said...

Yummy! Will have to try!

:)

6:25 AM  
Blogger Kuntal Joisher said...

I <3 all indian food!!!!!!! dal.. chapatis.. pooris.. shaaks.. everything!!

12:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home