I *Heart* Dal & Chapatis
This morning, using ingredients I already had in the kitchen I made this up for The Great Lentil Challenge!
1 1/2 C. red lentils
4 C. water
1 C. baby carrots, cut in circles
1/2 C. shallots, finely chopped
1/2 C. tomatoes
2 tbl. olive oil
1/2 tsp. cumin, paprika, turmeric, & ginger
1. In a pot, combine lentils with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30-45 minutes. About half way, add the carrots.
2. Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat oil and add shallots and spices; saute for about 2 minutes.
3. When lentils are finished cooking, add salt and shallot-spice mixture.
4. Use a cookie cutter as a stencil for tomatoes to make a heart, and add a circle of basmati rice.
5. Add some homemade Chapatis, this recipe came from 'May All Be Fed' by John Robbins.