Vegetarian Family

A Peek @ Food We Eat & Things We Do!

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Veggie Ribs & Quinoa Pasta


Our dinner came from 2 boxes:


1. Veggie Ribs

2. Quinoa "Garden Pagodas" Pasta









We've eaten these veggie ribs countless times before, and Art is the only one who has ever cooked them in our family. He says that you have to follow the directions on the box precisely or they're no good. We used to eat them quite a bit several years ago, and we were disappointed that they disappeared from the face of the earth around 2000. Back then, we were kinda paranoid that the ribs would disappear because stores were slow to restock the shelves and then it would only be with 7 boxes or so. Then, the ribs would be gone from one store but still be at another. So we all started hoarding the veggie ribs and buying the shelves empty when we'd come across them. It got a little competitive.


I think Mike stock piled the most, and recently we saw him again and he gave Art 6 boxes of the ribs - partly because he knew we'd appreciate having them, and partly for old times sake. When Art worked for the Dust Brothers in 1999, the guys at the studio in Silverlake would ask Art to take a break from composing music for such things as "Fight Club" or "Santana's Supernatural" to make ribs.





I tossed the quinoa pasta with sun-dried tomato pesto, then added fresh tomatoes, green onion, and cauliflower. We both really liked the flavor of the quinoa pasta. Art even said this was the best pasta he's had, and he doesn't usually like the curly type pasta.
It's made with a nice blend of corn and quinoa.





This batch of ribs was actually better than the ones back in the day because Art used tahini instead of peanut butter. And, I'm happy to report that anybody can try these ribs. I see on our rib box a website where you can buy this and many other great vegan & vegetarian products (the link is at the top). I'm looking forward to making some fake meats from scratch like I've seen on other blogs and can't wait to compare the taste to these - our current high water mark. What is your favorite homemade fake meat?



So, here it is, dinner from 2 boxes ~ veggie ribs, quinoa pasta, and marinated cucumbers.






10 Comments:

Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

oh my. that looks delicious!!!

i have a homemade one i'm going to try. with pbutter.

i just don't like sticky things. sticky dough especially.

my fav fake meat is whatever they make in the restaurants that tastes like spam. i just wish i knew what it was....mm..mm.good!

cuz who does't like SPAM!

8:59 AM  
Blogger Eat Peace Please said...

Wow, that looks amazing considering it was all from a box. I'm impressed. The quinoa pasta looks good to me and you already know how I feel about faux ribs!

As for Art, wow, that's bigtime composing!

9:38 AM  
Blogger Carrieā„¢ said...

Strange that you have a hard time finding those ribs when the box has a bright "New" right on the front!
Whenever I find a product that I really like, my husband always jokes that it will now be discontinued because I like it so much. I'm hearing more and more that it doesn't just happen to me.
I'm assuming the recipe you're talking about is the one a few of us have made recently. I'd be curious to get your opinion when compared to the boxed mix.
Good post...good food.

8:06 PM  
Blogger funwithyourfood said...

Have you ever tried putting your tofu in the freezer and then cooking with it? It changes the texture. More chewy.. Not "fake meat" but a new kind of tofu : )

Teddy

8:26 PM  
Blogger Dreena said...

We don't try a lot of the fake meats, though most of what I find here is Yves and I find much of their stuff tastes the same just packaged differently! We do like the ground round for chilis, but other than that not too much. I wouldn't mind trying these ribs, though, but I've never seen them. Wheat gluten, I assume? Not soy-based?

Oh, we also tried a quinoa pasta recently and loved it too - not the same brand though, but it was very nice. Now to more important things, Vicki... how can anyone not like curly pasta??! :)

6:05 AM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

hi monsoon girlie: check the link, it's a cool website even if you don't get to the ribs. the texture is firm, but not chewy, & can be crunchier if you leave them in the oven longer. thanks for your visit & i hope to see you again ~ i'm popping over to your place next! :o)

hi tanya kristine: i'd like to see your homemade version - that's what i want to do next - let me know how that turns out for you. you said, "cuz who does't like SPAM!" and made me laugh! :o)

hi leslie: how's the search for some fake meat for Ray going?

hi carrie: i think (?) the "new" sign is actually "old" - i believe this box is from Mike's old hoarded stock pile.

hi teddy: thanks for reminding me. i've heard about freezing the tofu, but we haven't tried it yet. we will next time. thanks for the tip!

hi dreena: the ribs are mainly wheat gluten. You said, "Now to more important things, Vicki... how can anyone not like curly pasta??! :)" you make me laugh!! but seriously - there is more to pasta than spaghetti! you just gave me some ammo next time hub & i have "the pasta talk" deciding between curly & fun VS. plain & boring pasta!! thanks for your comment! :o)

6:51 AM  
Blogger Eat Peace Please said...

Vicki, the search for Ray is done. I have compiled the results from my survey, printed them out, and now it's just buying them. He did get some "bacon" a few weeks ago, but it hasn't been touched, nor talked about since. You'll hear results! And they'll probably be on the grill, which he hasn't stopped talking about but it's been about 111 degrees + and not fun for grilling (or anything that requires effort outdoors).

5:35 PM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

hi leslie: please don't take this the wrong way, but you are a bit of a computer nerd "I have compiled the results from my survey, printed them out, and now it's just buying them." that is so cute! & well....pocket-protecterish! lol! :o) i can't wait to see what you 2 decide to throw on the grill ~ weather permitting.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Dori said...

Ribs look great. I have ordered from Dixie's Diner before. Do you have a favorite BBQ sauce that you put on your ribs or does that come in the box too.

9:43 PM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

LOOKS SOOOOOO GOOD!!!

Veggie ribs... only in my dreams when i was younger did i ever think this meal would be possible. Reality rules!

It all looks so amazing, Vicki...

My fave faque meat is a tie between ribs and ham! And i ate neither of them when i was a "carni"... i'm odd, i know...

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home