Vegetarian Family

A Peek @ Food We Eat & Things We Do!

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Midweek Munchies

Harmonias Midweek Munchies Meme
A Veg*n Meme

What wonderful foods did you bring home from the grocery store?

Midweek Munchies: What Vicki is contributing for the week:

Last night, I enjoyed looking through some cookbooks in search of recipes that I'd like to try this week. I plan on making dishes from: The New Vegan, Vive le Vegan!, The Everyday Vegan, Gourmet Vegetarian Feasts, La Dolce Vegan!, and I'm super excited about testing some of Catherine's recipes for her upcoming cookbook. Here is a picture of a few things I picked up from the grocery store, and my list follows along with some questions for you.


Produce:
Potatoes
*Cucumbers
Cauliflower
Gala Apples
Shallots
Green Bell Pepper
Sweet Yellow Onions
Chayote Squash (pictured above - total experiment purchase)
Cilantro
Bartlett Pears
*Tomatoes
*Red Onions
Pasilla Peppers (another experiment)

Bulk:
Gold Raisins
Cashews
Sunflower Nuts
Ground Ginger
Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
Kamut Flour (pictured above...not technically bulk)
*Red Lentils
Nutritional Yeast
*Quinoa

Packaged:
*3 cans Pumpkin (1 representative can pictured above)
Hemp Brownie Mix (pictured above)
Pure Maple Syrup
*2 packages Vegetable Broth
Silk Vanilla
*No Salt Tomato Sauce
Honeynut Cheerios
Soy Cream Cheese (pictured above)

A few questions for you:
1. How do you use Nutritional Yeast?
2. What do you know about Chayote Squash? How to use it? (pictured above)
3. What is your favorite brand of Soy Cream Cheese?
4. Any word on Pasilla Peppers? Would they work in a curry?

Links to other Midweek Munchies
(If you participate, leave your link in the comments and I'll post it below; or, you can post in the comments)

Click here for the Midweek Munchies code
Click here for Harmonia's blog

Trackbacks, pings, and comment links are accepted and encouraged!
Technorati Tag:

A special thanks to Running2Ks and Rift for all of their help with coding, graphics, and encouragement for this project.

PURPOSE of Midweek Munchies: Put together by a small group of Veg Women, we hope to spread the word about healthy vegetarianism while obtaining idea starters for meals, recipes, learn about new products, and meet other female veg*n bloggers. Visiting and commenting on other participants lists are encouraged but not required. Have fun and Go Veg!


11 Comments:

Blogger Harmonia said...

WOW! Impressive list!
Mild Ajvar is a Turkish Vegetable Spread...it's a first for me, actually.

A few questions for you:
1. How do you use Nutritional Yeast? I sprinkle it on many things, pasta, bagels, in soups, hummus, just about anything...
2. What do you know about Chayote Squash? How to use it? (pictured above) I don't know about Chayote Squash! Educate us! :)
3. What is your favorite brand of Soy Cream Cheese? The only kind we have here is Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese...I like it!
4. Any word on Pasilla Peppers? Not sure about those either - sorry I am not much help today! Although I found out that Fefferoni was a pepper and not pepperoni as I first thought! ZOUNKS!
Would they work in a curry?I love Curry!

11:11 AM  
Blogger Everyday Superhero said...

I only have answers to two of your questions...
I've sprinkled nutritional yeast on popcorn and I've made "cheese" sauce with it.
I've used the Tofutti brand of cream cheese and liked it a lot. It makes for a nice treat.

By the way, your vacation looked like lots of fun and so relaxing.

11:37 AM  
Blogger jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Hi Vicki,

I use nutritional yeast as I would as a spice, and as a main ingredient. I make vegan mac and cheez and silken tofu ricotta for lasagna with it - I also sprinkle it on popcorn with melted earth balance and sea salt. It's great in tofu scrambles as well! I do forewarn that although it's cheezy goodness, it's best to use sparingly when not a main ingredient, and it's an acquired taste - so don't worry if you hate it at first, seriously, I HATED the first few times I had it.

I've never tried that brand of soy cream cheese, but I like tofutti cream cheese. It's also great to use in recipes as you woud cream cheese.

I <3 pumpkin - great choice!
I'm also excited about Catherine's recipes~

11:47 AM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

Good stuff as always, Vicki!

I love all kinds of Cheerios... I'm so weird though: I usually eat "off brands" of many cereals (healthy and not-so-healthy types) but I have yet to find a company making "O's" that taste like REAL Cheerios. Therefore I only eat the General Mills brand of Cheerios...

Are Gala apples a fave? I am big on Golden Delicious...

Looking forward to seeing what you do with that squash. It looks interesting. Very different!!

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi...I've never heard of the squash or the peppers. But, I do use nut. yeast once in a while, mainly when I'm trying to mock cheese. However, I'm not in love with the stuff.

The only soy cream cheese I've had is tofutti. I don't eat if often cause of the hydrogenated oils though.

7:10 PM  
Blogger Catherine Weber said...

Vicki, I don't love nutritional yeast either. (I made a fake mac & cheese with it once and had to throw the whole batch out -- PBJ for dinner that night! Since then, I've had little bits here and there, and like it in stuff, when it's a backup singer.)

Is there trans fat in your soy cream cheese? I may have to seriously rethink these dip recipes if I can't offer soy cream cheese as a choice. (Silken tofu . . . ?) I made them back in my dairy days, when I used Neufatchel cheese.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

hi harmonia: thanks for your visit and answers. i found out that chayote squash should be cooked like any other - steam, bake, stuff or fry. think i'm gunna stuff & bake.

hi sweet pea: thanks for your answers & visit. i'm still thinking about your vegetable stock!

hi jess: thanks for your nut. yeast info, it totally helps. pumpkin stuff coming soon!

hi kleopatra: i picked up the gala apples because they didn't have pink lady or fuji - it was 3 down the line. and, actually i "fibbed" about the cheerios - i always buy a knock-off brand that uses less packaging. tastes the same to me. i just couldn't think of the name at the time...& still can't! :o)

hi megan: thanks for you visit & help with the nut. yeast!

hi catherine: "when it's a backup singer" cute phrase coming from a singer! :o)
i don't know if there was any trans fat in the soy cream cheese - i took out the trash & the packaging is already gone. i can check next time i'm @ the co-op. I could have chosen tofutti soy cream cheese or the one pictured. i'm posting the recipe tomorrow!

10:56 PM  
Blogger Art Hodge said...

Those hemp brownies sound tasty. Is that legal?

10:24 AM  
Blogger Eat Peace Please said...

Whoa, comments from the husband! I always wish Ray would even look at my page (without me dragging him in).

2:52 PM  
Blogger Eat Peace Please said...

I made popcorn the other night and sprinkled it on to make it a bit "cheesy" even though I don't really care for cheese, or fake, by that matter, some foods get enhanced with n. yeast. I like it in things like spinach artichoke dip.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Eat Peace Please said...

SOrry to comment for the third time in a row, Art, yes hemp seeds are legal. I think they call it hemp nut. Check my page I eat it everyday (and right now in a smoothie). I like all hemp products.

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home