Vegetarian Family

A Peek @ Food We Eat & Things We Do!

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Books & Dishes

I'm so excited to have a new vegan cookbook. "The New Vegan" by Lorna Sass. Anybody heard of this? The dude in the bookstore said that Lorna Sass rocks their world. They are a vegan couple and they exclusively cook from this cookbook and another written by her. That's quite a recommendation, so I decided to give it a go. Some recipes that sound darn good include: Stuffed Collard Rolls with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce, As-You-Please Grain and Bean Salad (like Vegan Lunch Box's Magical Loaf Studio in that you choose from a menu), Sweet Polenta with Maple-Glazed Walnuts (is that one talkin' to ya, Catherine?) Anyhow, you'll see some vittles from this cookbook in the near future.

I love used books, and this one is a great find. "Vegetarian Feasts: An International Selection of Appetizing Recipes for All Occasions", by Martha Rose Shulman. A nice bonus is the chapter titled "Vegan Main Courses." Some yummy titles include: Curried Millet with Garlic, Potaje De Garbanzos (Tomato and Chickpea Stew), Soybean 'Ground Beef', and Leftover Grains Muffins. Anybody know about this cookbook?




I also picked up these cute books for the girls. Olivia is in love with Maurice Sendak's "Little Bear", so that was a must grab. And "At The Seaside" was a natural choice since we were playing at the beach daily.








I found some Fiesta Ware for a great price in an antique shop. The colors just don't look right in the photo -- the pink should be more of a carnation and the yellow is mellow. She only had 3 yellow cups & saucers, but I guess I can easily pick up another to even it up if I want. The pink is supposedly retired.





My favorites are these two plates. Again, the color isn't right -- they are the softest hint of pink. On the back, they are stamped with "Portugal." I hope I can capture the pretty color of these plates sometime soon, perhaps with a dish from one of the above books.




10 Comments:

Blogger KleoPatra said...

The New Vegan book looks wonderful... I think I've seen it somewhere. Hope you have good luck with that, I'm sure you will!

Love the new Fiesta Ware plates. Cool colours, Vicki.

I have the Gourmet Vegetarian Feasts book. It's great! There are quite a few recipes with eggs and/or butter and/or milk but you can always substitute if you are so moved. I have been meaning to try the marinated cucumbers (pagee 130 in my copy) as well as the potaje de garbanzos (tomato and chickpea stew, page 96).

Love the "kiddie" books. You can't go wrong with Maurice Sendak or a book about the seaside...

10:12 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

very pretty plates!

i can't wait to see if you like those cookbooks.. i'm actually gonna get another one soon (bro in law gave me a chapters gift card), and i'm trying to decide which one to get.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Eat Peace Please said...

I have some new plates sent from Kansas to post soon. Your new items look beautiful!

As for the New Vegan cookbook, that's what Ray got me for my birthday. He said he liked the photos, and he was right. I have only read through it about 10 times, still haven't made anything yet. Let us know how the meals come out. As for the collard green rolls, I made those but with grape leaves one time. Your kiddie books are super-cute!

12:38 PM  
Blogger Flo @ Yielded Heart said...

I haven't seen this, but I like Lorna's pressure cooking book, so I imagine this is good.

We had the Seaside book, too. I was an Usborne Books consultant. You probably know this, but all Stephen Cartwright illustrated books have a duck hiding on each page spread.

If you're ever looking for a book about kids' books, I highly, highly recommend Gladys Hunt's "Honey For a Child's Heart".

1:58 PM  
Blogger Catherine Weber said...

Be ready for a non-food comment . . .

I LOVE LITTLE BEAR. My former coteacher, Sarah, introduced me to Little Bear -- I love the humor in it! It is sweet and subtle, and both children and adults love it. The other two books that remind me much of Little Bear that I'm familiar with are "Owl at Home" and "Mouse Tales." The best chapter (in my opinion) in "Owl at Home" is "Bumps" and in "Mouse Tales" it's "The Wishing Well."

Have I ever told you about my second passion in life -- children's literature? :)

Do you know about the books "The Dot" and "Ish?" Those are my most recent acquisitions, and both are incredible.

I could talk about kids books for hours!

(I had to add -- hooray for sweet polenta! Yum, yum, yum. Pecans, double-yum.)

6:35 PM  
Blogger Carrieā„¢ said...

I'm a cookbook junkie! Those both look awesome! I tend to buy way more dishes than I need. Fiesta Ware is so bright and colourful. Good buy! Now, can't wait to see them with some food made from your cookbooks on them!

6:43 PM  
Blogger turquoise cro said...

OooOOO Vicki! Love the dishes!!! I was thinking of grabbing me a few pieces of this ware! That Bridal shower I went to, she got all colors of fiesta ware!!! I might just have to go get me a Vegan book! That first one looks interesting!

9:47 PM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

hi kleopatra: i'm glad you pointed out the marinated cucumbers recipe...i see it on p.130 - i really enjoy that dish in the hot summer. my mom used to make it & i've been unable to get it right.

hi michelle: another cookbook? is this in addition to VwaV, Vegan Planet, & Ultimate Uncheese? can't wait to hear which one you decide to get. :o)

hi leslie: the photos are what caught my attention as well. with grapeleaves - cool substition.

hi kai: you were a Usborne Books consultant. what does that mean?
yes, and mercer mayer also hides animals on each page. in "just me and my mom" he hides a frog. cute.
thanks for the tip, i'll check out Gladys Hunt's "Honey For a Child's Heart" from the library.

hi catherine: olivia IS little bear. she gets upset if we don't call her that, and she recites lines from the book. we've become the bear family. i will be checking out each book you list. thanks for dropping some titles here. we just went through an eric carle phase and she adores Kevin Henkes' books - especially Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse. i'm a kid's lit. fan as well! :o)

hi carrie: i did not need these dishes and had to squeeze them on the shelf. i love dishes - especially plates.

hi cinda: i was so tempted to get all different colors, but these were used and the selection wasn't much. all different must be lovely.

11:04 PM  
Blogger Flo @ Yielded Heart said...

Just like there's Tupperware, Pampered Chef, Mary Kay, Discovery Toys, etc... there's Usborne Books at Home. I used to do home shows, booths at countyfairs, craftshows, etc. The Seaside book is an Usborne book.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Dori said...

I'd like to try some of the spelt sesame sticks, would you pass me one please :-).

Awhile ago I picked up an electric donut maker at a consignment store for $2. My daughter loves making them for breakfast. We have a good spelt donut recipe that is vegan and sugar free that we make in it. The cool thing is that any basic muffin or cake recipe can easily be made into the donut's too. It makes two at a time in seven minutes.

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home