Vegetarian Family

A Peek @ Food We Eat & Things We Do!

Friday, May 12, 2006

Famous Chef's Beach House



We had no idea when we rented the beach house that it was a designated landmark. When we saw the plaque on the house we didn't know why it was a landmark until we started "snooping" around to find clues.










We saw this framed photo and newspaper clipping on the curio cabinet shelf in the dining room. But we didn't recognize him. Do you?








Then, we saw this newspaper clipping framed and hanging on the wall in the living room. Ah ha! James Beard. Hmmm, even with a name to go with the face we still didn't know who he was. Do you know who he is?

What we did recognize was the photo of the house! "Our" beach house was originally his family's.




James Beard is a famous chef! Here is a picture of three of his books they had at the house, and a link to his other books. Who was James Beard you may ask....

And now that I know, I see his name in lots of places. For instance, look at this cute kid's cooking web site: Spatulatta -- and notice the award in the upper left corner!


3 Comments:

Blogger KleoPatra said...

That is unbelievably cool. All this from a craigslist find, too! That is just spectacular. I love your detective work... sure you're not a journalist too!? James Beard... yep, heard of that one! Really neat, Vicki!

10:29 PM  
Blogger Luna said...

Hello!!first of all, happy birthday even if i'm late!you surely had a good time in sesaside, that place looks great, i'd really like to have a peaceful vacation in a similar place, maybe in the future i'll ask you the address !!as usual your photos are so nice and ... they "speak for themselves"!!
have a nice day, i'm kind of busy during this period with my job, plus it's time for my finals and my husband came back home after a 7-month absence ... so i don't have a lot of free time but i always have a look to your blog to...relax ;-)

2:17 AM  
Blogger turquoise cro said...

There we go again Vicki! James Beard and you called my Iris a bearded lady???!! LOL I've never heard them called that I don't think! I was just at the library last evening and got a cookbook, Lee Bailey's Southern Food & Plantation Houses. I turned to Onion Tart and Chocolate Pots de Creme and that was enough to make me check it out! LOL MMMmmm

7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home