Vegetarian Family

A Peek @ Food We Eat & Things We Do!

Friday, April 28, 2006

Bags of Gold & Berry Oat Squares

I've been wanting to make these for a while, and Dori gave me the extra inspiration that I needed. In California, we used to buy something like this frozen from Ralph's called bags of gold. They were a big treat for us back then because it was a very rare thing to find pre-packaged vegetarian items at the grocery store. Garden burger was about all there was 10 years ago. Anyhow, I wanted a quick & yummy snack -- and this was both!



Lightly spray the muffin pan with veg. oil, place a wrap in each compartment, and begin filling them with pre-cooked items. Pinch them closed at the top with a little water. Cook @ 350 for about 20 minutes, and toward the end keep a watch on them so they don't burn. I covered mine with tin foil toward the last 5 minutes. These are filled with Smart BBQ and left over quinoa - two things that I just happened to have in the fridge at the time. I think this would be a nice Friday item to use up left-overs from the week. For kids, set up a buffet so they can fill their own.


The Berry Oat Squares recipe is from La Dolce Vegan! by Sarah Kramer. With this one, I'm thinking that I messed around with the recipe too much. Abi didn't even like it -- possibly because of my modifications, or maybe because our family is too spoiled on more sugary treats to appreciate it? For whatever reason, this one didn't fly.






Recipe (My modifications):

3/4 C. Vegan Margarine (Earth Balance Shortening)
1 1/2 C. Rolled Oats
1 1/4 C. Flour (1 C. WW Flour, 1/4 C. Flax Meal)
1/2 C. Sugar
1 C. Blueberries (Frozen, not thawed)
1/2 C. Jam (Blackberry)
1 Tsp. Flour (WW Flour)


11 Comments:

Blogger Eat Peace Please said...

These bags of gold look great! I like how you set out a buffet too. I guess you could really fill those with anything huh? Are they vegan or do they have eggs in the wrappers?

Too bad the bars weren't as great as they look from over here! I'd probably still eat them, anything with berry filling, yum.

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those bars did not turn out so well for me either. My husband commented that while they fail as a a dessert they'd make an okay breakfast sweet. I just plan on using a differant recipe from the book.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Dori said...

I'm glad I inspired you, these look great and a real snack size too! These bags woudl go over well with my finger food, dippy family.

There are companies that make vegan "egg" roll wrappers (pasta wraps), I get mine at an oriental store.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Eat Peace Please said...

I must mention: that bowl the treats are in is super-cool. Is it vintage?

3:11 PM  
Blogger Eat Peace Please said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

Hi Leslie: my wrappers were not vegan, but Dori says she gets some that are. I ate as many of the Berry Oat Squares as I could - with no help from the family. I got my little green dish from Williams Sonoma...I wish it were vintage, and that's the reason I bought it...because it looked old! funny.

Hi Poppy: I agree with you, & I always hear great things about this cookbook. I think your husband is right on about it being a better as a breakfast sweet. Did you use whole wheat or white flour?

Hi Dori: Thanks for coming by. I'm determined to find an asian grocery store. Other than the wrappers, what are some essential asian store buys?

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used some unbleached flour, is only 1 tsp in the recipe. This cookbook is worth getting, the portions are smaller than the previous two books, and many of the recipes turn out well.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

Hi Poppy: I agree that the cookbook is worth getting -- I see many other recipes that I want to try in Dolce...not to mention some of her crafts at the end! The Berry Oat Squares use 1 tsp flour mixed in with the berries, & 1.25 cups in the oat mixture. I used wholewheat/flax for both quantities.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

PS POPPY -- What recipes do you recommend from Dolce??

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about the delay! So far I have made(and enjoyed):
The Joint's "Cheese Burger" Pizza pg. 171
Tara's Chocolate Cake pg.250 (A wacky cake recipe)
veganica.com Cajun Sweet Potato Fries pg.186
Dijion Mustard Brussels Sprouts pg. 185
Seasame Roasted Asparagus also pg. 185
Black Bean & Sweet Potato Burritos pg. 158
Veggie Goulash pg. 140 (Reminded me of something called American Chop Suey from my elementary school days)

I am thinking of making the Apple Pie Pancakes for breakfast pg. 38

You can always go to govegan.net and check out the chatroom. Many of the contributors to LDV are there(like Wolffie)and everyone there is friendly.

2:43 AM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

I love the little bags o'treats. Those are really cool. Sort of like won tons or kreplach (a Jewish food). I always enjoy reading about the dessert-type treats you make. This is no exception. The berry bars look blissfully yummy. Is the flax for extra nutrition?

8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home