Vegetarian Family

A Peek @ Food We Eat & Things We Do!

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Midweek Munchies "Hungry Planet"

Harmonias Midweek Munchies Meme
A Veg*n Meme

What wonderful foods did you bring home from the grocery store?

Midweek Munchies: What Vicki is contributing for the week:

Not long ago, Leslie did a wonderful post about her book collection and recommended Hungry Planet - What The World Eats by Peter Menzel and Faith D'Aluisio. I was intrigued, so I checked it out from my library, and I'm so glad I did. I couldn't help but draw a parallel between the people in these pictures to us Midweek Munchers -- all of us presenting the food we'll be eating for the week. So, I begin with some beautiful photos of people around the world and food they may be eating this week.
One week's food in September for the Ayme family in Ecuador. Cooking method: wood fire. Food preservation: natural drying.
One week's food in November for the Mustapha family in Chad. Cooking method: wood fire. Food preservation: natural drying.
One week's food in February for an extended family of thirteen in Bhutan. Cooking method: clay stove fueled by wood fire. Food preservation: natural drying.
One week's food in May for the Ukita family in Japan. Favorite foods - Kazuo: sashimi. Sayo: fruit. Mio: cake. Maya: potato chips.
One week's food in January for the Natomo family in Mali. Cooking method: wood fire.


Approximately one week's food in April for our family in Idaho. Cooking method: electric stove, oven, & microwave. (family not pictured)

Dry/Bulk:
Lipton Cold Brew Tea
Bob's Whole Ground Flaxseed Meal
Blueberries
Lentils
Granola Bars

Produce:
Pink Lady Apples
Green Grapes
Bag of Kiwis
Hand of Bananas
Butternut Squash
Carrots
Broccoli

Wet:
Vanilla Silk
Orange Juice
Lemon Perrier
Apple Juice
Sesame Oil

Frozen:
Chix Nuggets
Garden Burger (Black Bean)
Veggie Dogs (Yves - not actually frozen)

Links to other Midweek Munchies
(If you participate, leave your link in the comments and I'll post it below; or, you can post in the comments)

Click here for the Midweek Munchies code
Click here for Harmonia's blog

Trackbacks, pings, and comment links are accepted and encouraged!
Technorati Tag:

A special thanks to Running2Ks and Rift for all of their help with coding, graphics, and encouragement for this project.

PURPOSE of Midweek Munchies: Put together by a small group of Veg Women, we hope to spread the word about healthy vegetarianism while obtaining idea starters for meals, recipes, learn about new products, and meet other female veg*n bloggers. Visiting and commenting on other participants lists are encouraged but not required. Have fun and Go Veg!


7 Comments:

Blogger Eat Peace Please said...

I have to go to work (and I'll be late if I rant) but I love this post Vicki! I want to talk about this book and I love the photos that you posted, these are the ones that meant the most to me and I studied many of these cultures extensively in my nutrition classes. Many vegans and vegetarians not by choice!

Great post and I look forward to more comments and chatting when I'm home again... I just had to pop in and say *something*!

9:46 AM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

yeaah, Leslie, I was hoping to see you! Let's talk...The book is wonderful. :o)

11:57 AM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

Those photos are quite compelling. The bottom one really drew me in. This book sounds like something i need to check out at some point. Between you and eatpeaceplease, it seems as though this is a must-read.

i love these midweek munchies posts you all do and have been enjoying the validation for what i eat. It's so nice to be in similar company!

Thanks for the cool post and the thoughts it brings on.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Catherine Weber said...

Cool photos!

Have you ever tried making your own black bean burgers? I've had bad luck -- I can't find a binder/replacement for egg that I like. (I've tried flax, cornstarch, and commercial egg replacer.) Got any awesome ideas? :)

8:19 PM  
Blogger Dori said...

Oh My! I see were are on the same mindset today! I think the book is wonderful too. If I didn't have a final coming up on Friday I'wouldn't set this book down.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Flo @ Yielded Heart said...

This is a great MM post! Thanks for posting these photos:)

And I'm really glad to hear that you've found quinoa and that it's working out!

12:21 PM  
Blogger Harmonia said...

WOW! This is an amazing post! Everything about it is GREAT! It's almost that time again...I feel like I am so behind! I hope to leave more comments on everyone's blogs later today. MwM tomorrow, already! ZOINKS! I need to go shopping! LOL

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home