Vegetarian Family

A Peek @ Food We Eat & Things We Do!

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Pups in a Blanket & Canoes

These are the ingredients needed to make "Sliced Tofu Wieners in Dough" from Mother Nature's Garden: Healthy Vegan Cooking by Florence & Micky Bienenfeld. I changed the title in my post because mine aren't sliced, and I hate the word "wiener". The recipe says to cut each dough-wrapped wiener into 6 to 8 diagonal slices and bake them that way. It didn't make sense to me to cut them because I was afraid they'd crumble.




I served these hearty pups with pink lady apple slices (Cutely, Liv calls them canoes & is very much into comparing food to objects these days). Obviously, a quick and easy kid-lunch. Next time, I think I'll add some egg replacer/applesauce? Help me out here...how to give a little moisture & hold it together?





Later, we stopped by Rainbow Books and I found a used copy of John Robbins' May All Be Fed. Rainbow Books is a neat bookstore (darn, I should have taken a photo!) It's an old house with books in every room, closet, nook & cranny. I checked the kid's section downstairs (in what I think was the dining room) and the cooking section (up the creaky stairs to a back bedroom) After getting home, I noticed that May All Be Fed is autographed by John Robbins! I'm pretty stoked because Diet For A New America changed my life.


I also found several lovely books for the girls. Most noteworthy is An Edible Alphabet by Bonnie Christensen (picture to right). This food picture book features only edible plants. No meat pictures, no animals posing as food, and no "H" for ham or "M" for meat. Some of plants are (at least to me) lesser known, like: Ipomea, Quince, Ulu, and Xanthorhiza. Others plants are more well known, like: dill, fig, juneberry, kale, & nasturtium. The pictures are very pretty, and in back there is a glossery of all 26 plants .

5 Comments:

Blogger Luna said...

Hi vicki!yes here it's spring!!a week ago it was snowing, and today i'm wearing a t-shirt!!See, i was in love with the ice-age poster me too, and asked the dvd store where i live to save a copy for me...but then they forgot! :-( the movie is so funny!;-)i saw ice age 1, but ice age the meltdown is only in USA for now, not in Italy yet.
have a nice weekend!

9:31 AM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

What does a vegetarian eat in Italy? Will you blog some of your meals?

7:45 PM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

vicki! great blog!!

thanks for visiting mine. i am still perusing and nosing my way around yours.

i plan to be back here often; am listing you on my blog...

comin' for a visit to SD anytime? let me know! :)

9:26 PM  
Blogger turquoise cro said...

GOODY, GOODY, GUMDROP! for you!!! Vicki finding a great find for you!!! I was just looking at a bookstore with mom yesterday, it's books 4 less and I want to check it out, mom was too tired to let me check it out! Happy Week-end!

8:55 PM  
Blogger Dori said...

WOW ! What a great book find, autographed and all. I have read a Diet for a Small Planet by Jon Robbins. Your book store sounds like a neat place to visit!

5:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home