Vegetarian Family

A Peek @ Food We Eat & Things We Do!

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Midweek Munchies

Harmonias Midweek Munchies Meme
A Veg*n Meme

What wonderful foods did you bring home from the grocery store?

Midweek Munchies: What Vicki is contributing for the week


PRODUCE:
*Asparagus
Carrots
Cabbage
*Broccoli
Butternut Squash
*Red Grapes
Red Potatoes
Pink Lady Apples
Bananas
* Orange Juice

FROZEN:
Chix Nuggets
Corn Dogs
Sugar Snap Peas
Petite Peas
Tater Tots

OTHER:
*Hunt's Spaghetti Sauce
*Garbonzo Beans
Smart BBQ
Smart Ground
Alphabet Pasta (yeahhh, Liv will love this)
Star Pasta
De Cecco Whole Wheat Spaghetti
Cashews
Silk
Lemon Perrier
Peanut Butter
Almond Butter (they grind it fresh there)
Black Bread
Tamari
Hoisin Sauce (my first time...any suggestions?)
Earth Balance


Here's a picture of the stuff I'm most excited about: Tamari (my first time buying it), Hoisin Sauce (also a first), Earth Balance (first), Whole Wheat Spaghetti, & Alphabets Pasta.

I still need to make a run to the Co-op, but it'll wait a day or so...that's where the best stuff is!




I unpacked the groceries while listening to The Beatles Revolver. If you ask my 3 year old what her favorite band is, she'll say The Beatles. She especially loves "Good Day Sunshine" and "Yellow Submarine". Anyhow, one thing led to another and before I knew it, I was reorganizing our panty shelf.




Here's a close-up of a couple of the shelves. Maybe I'll give more of a tour after some of the piles have been picked up! Today, I hope to conquer and organize the spice shelves.





Links to other Midweek Munchies
(If you participate, leave your link in the comments and I'll post it below; or, you can post in the comments)

Click here for the Midweek Munchies code
Click here for Harmonia's blog

Trackbacks, pings, and comment links are accepted and encouraged!
Technorati Tag:

A special thanks to Running2Ks and Rift for all of their help with coding, graphics, and encouragement for this project.

PURPOSE of Midweek Munchies: Put together by a small group of Veg Women, we hope to spread the word about healthy vegetarianism while obtaining idea starters for meals, recipes, learn about new products, and meet other female veg*n bloggers. Visiting and commenting on other participants lists are encouraged but not required. Have fun and Go Veg!


9 Comments:

Blogger Catherine Weber said...

alphabet pasta? what brand? have my dreams come true???? :)

we've taught the children in our class "yellow submarine," and they love it, too. kids are smart. :)

and tater tots . . . you're lucky, because you have kids and you can get away with buying tater tots. the checkout folks at the co-op always raise an eyebrow when my spud puppies go through the line!

4:06 PM  
Blogger jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

I like the tour! And major points for the alphabet pasta : )

6:44 PM  
Blogger Flo @ Yielded Heart said...

Quite a list here. Mine would love the alphabet pasta, too!

The tamari and hoisin sauce would be good in vegetable stir-fries.

And yes, we'd love the tour!

6:02 AM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

Hi CAtherine! Yes, kids give me a "no high-brow" ticket on many things (tater tots, wading in the kiddie-pool, eating animal crackers in the grocery store, I could go on & on...)

Everyone! It's pleasing that others share my joy in finding alphabets pasta! A whole alphabet world has just been opened up (I'm thinking crafts & food). I found it in the "Mexican Food" part of our grocery store (not near pasta or soups). The brand is Gamesa, and is a small 7 oz. bag. Here's a link to buy it on line!

http://www.mexgrocer.com/6101.html

Kai: Thanks for the tip on tamari and hoisin sauce...it helps! :o)

8:29 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

mmm, i love tamari.. but it took me a while to get used to it.. it's much stronger than soy sauce, so use a small amount to start, then you can add more! tamari and balsamic vinegar roasted sunflower seeds YUM!

what's black bread? i've never heard of that. is it like, a dark rye?

8:52 AM  
Blogger Dori said...

I didn't know tamari was stronger than soy sauce. I use alot of soy sauce sauce in a varity of flavorings for various dishes (not just oriental). I don't think I have tried hoison before. I look forward to reading your uses of it. I bought a small box of that alphabet pasta awhile ago, my crafty daughter loves it. I also threw some in soup after I got it and my teenagers had so much fun trying to make words in their soup.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

Hi Michelle! Black bread has whole wheat flour & the black comes from whole rye flour. Our family really likes it.

Hi Amy! I just discovered that our conventional grocery store grinds peanut butter & almond butter right there. So nice to know that's all that's inside...almonds or peanuts.

Hi Dori! We had some fun with the alphabets pasta this weekend...& I also used the hoisin sauce for the first time. LOVE it!

7:26 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

or, maybe it's just me who thinks that tamari tastes stronger? hmmm. took me a long time to get comfy with miso, so perhaps it's the whole fermentation thing that my taste buds are picking up and aren't used to yet?

12:41 PM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

BEATLES! Nice!

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home