Vegetarian Family

A Peek @ Food We Eat & Things We Do!

Thursday, April 27, 2006

jazzmyne

a stray showed up on our doorstep tonight. the doorbell rang, and there she was. "um, i was wondering if i could use your phone?" uhh, ok. so i went to get my cell. she made a phone call on our front lawn as the sun went down and spoke mostly in spanish, and i could only pick up a few insignificant words. she tells me that her father kicked her out again and she has no place to go. hmmm, do you need to make another call so that someone can come get you or meet you? "the only other number i have is in my cell phone which is dead, i can't get the number out, can you charge this?" i look, and no, i can't. i suggest that maybe she should call home. she says her dad hits her and she doesn't want to go home. well, then, i'll take you to a shelter. so art finds numbers to call and i take them with me to call ahead as i drive her. turns out the women's shelter is full and the backup number they gave us was also full. hmmm, i'm thinking what in the world am i going to do with this girl?! so we call the ywca, which tells us to call health and welfare. i spoke to a nice woman from health and welfare as i drove jazzmyne through carl's jr. and got her a big sized #1 with a gigantic sprite -- she was so hungry. the nice lady dispatcher tries to grasp my situation. nice lady: what relationship is this girl to you? me: i've never met her before tonight. n.l.: how did you happen on her? me: she rang my doorbell. n.l.: that's very strange, now you are where? what is your plan? me: carl's jr. and i don't know, i was really hoping you could help... actually, the whole situation was even more bizarre than the dispatcher understood. we live at the top of a steep hill in a cul-de-sac. not a through street -- no where to go at all but our house & our hand full of neighbors' homes, no traffic at all, only open areas all around, not a place you could just stumble upon, and not an easy walk either. our street is the steepest incline in the county -- exercisers challenge themselves everyday on our hill. it is a total work-out for athletes. and check this out, the girl was wearing flimsy flip-flops! anyhow, the nice lady tells me that since jazzmyne is 16, i really have no choice but to take her to the police. my heart sank. ugggh, really, that's my only option? that didn't seem cool at all. even though i didn't want to drop her off at the police station, i drove there anyway because i knew the dispatcher was right. honestly, who knows what kind of shenanagins was going on? and she was a minor. though i did basically believe her story, and empathized with her. so we get to the police station and i park the car and we listen to my cd while she finishes her hamburger. then, after a while she says "you know, i have an aunt who lives close by" you do?! so we drove 2 short blocks away, and as she gets out, i hand her $25 and my 40 watt hype cd, and watch as a youngish looking woman answers the door and welcomes jazzmyne inside. that is how i spent the last 3 hours. what a wild ride.
PS - i included this cat picture because her name was jazzmyne, and i couldn't help but think of her tonight.

6 Comments:

Blogger Dori said...

Oh my! You have a big heart. I'm glad J* had a place to go.

I came to check out your quinoa salad again. I am planning on trying to make some soon.

4:58 AM  
Blogger Flo @ Yielded Heart said...

You do have a big heart!

12:17 PM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:41 PM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

(i deleted then reposted upon seeing some errors in my spellllllling!!)

Wow, Vicki, what a story. Compelling and fascinating. i wish i could *hug* you for what you did! And i want to tell you how awesome you are because you did the right thing... all the things you did!

i have been in similar situations before, helping strangers this way... and it's so strange how these things happen to certain people... it's a destiny thing... something, someone in the universe puts these people in our lives and it's like a test to see how we respond... i really believe that, hope that doesn't sound too weird!

i must tell you how proud i am of how you reacted, the compassion and caring... i am honoured to be your acquaintance!

1:43 PM  
Blogger turquoise cro said...

I'm glad Art was around!!!You have to be careful!!!but I probably would have helped her too! Some boys knocked on my door last summer and asked if they could have some water for their car?! I hurried and found an empty pringles chip container and gave them that! They thanked me and thanked me!but I am leery answering my door sometimes!!! You have to be now adays!!!

9:38 PM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

It was a bizarre situation, and blogging helped me process it. I try to trust my instincts with these things, and I totally agree, Cinda, you gotta be super careful.

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home