Vegetarian Family

A Peek @ Food We Eat & Things We Do!

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Green Tea and Grapefruit Kanten & Guacamole

This is like vegan gelatin, and makes a refreshing snack or dessert. A little green tea in the kanten gives it a lovely flavor, and the grapefruit is pretty in the molds. This recipe comes from 'Veggie Life'.

2 large pink grapefruit, peeled & sectioned
3 tblsp. agar flakes
3 C. white grape juice
1 tblsp. loose-leaf green tea
1/4 C. agave nectar



1.
In a saucepan, combine agar flakes and juice, & let stand for 15 minutes. Place grapefruit sections on a towel to dry slightly.

2. Stir in agave nectar. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium & continue unil agar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in tea and set aside to infuse for 5 minutes.
3. Using a fine mesh strainer, strain mixture into a large measuring cup with a pouring spout.
4. Arrange grapefruit sections in 6 individual dishes or a large mold. Pour juice mixture over grapefruit and chill until set. To unmold, run a knife around edges & invert.


This is what I call "dinner for 1, my style." I cut up an avacado and tomato into big chunks. Added fresh cilantro, cayenne pepper, & sea salt. I didn't have lemon or lime, so I added some Mike's hard lime for some added zip. Served myself some tortilla chips and green pepper to dip it up.





11 Comments:

Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

oh my. i LOVE avocado in anything. tomatoes, cilantro, lime...mmm...and the hummus looks awesome too.

i'm fasting. i'm desperately hungry. you're hurting me.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Harmonia said...

Toss me one of those Hard Lemonades, will ya?

:)
Cheers!

12:54 PM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

Mike's Hard Lime! Woah, mama! *smiles* I've never had it but I'll bet it gave more than just a little zip 'n' kick to that lovely "dinner for 1, (your) style."

I love your new photo you use for the avatar!!! I think I'm going to do likewise. I love Tony LaRussa's Animal Rescue Foundation, but it's time for a change perhaps... You inspire me yet again, Vicki!

I'm thrilled to see that agar flakes work well for jelling... I haven't had any "faque" gelatin (not to mention the real thing - Jell-Ugh) in years...

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good choice of background! I could totally go for a mike's hard!

4:31 PM  
Blogger Eat Peace Please said...

ok, now I must go get some agar. The only time I ever used it was in microbiology lab (so I kind of have issues...) but all this good stuff comes of it! Great post Vicki.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Catherine Weber said...

Where was the fam' during your party for one? ;-)

8:05 PM  
Blogger funwithyourfood said...

haha Mike's : )

It looks like flan. YUM

Teddy

8:24 PM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

Thanks for the inspiration... and the kind notes!

Here's to *NO* TV, Vicki!
(Now, TVP, that's another story altogether!)
And here's to CA and OR, two lovely, lovely states!
(and I've been to Idaho on vacation as well and love it!)

8:37 PM  
Blogger Carrieā„¢ said...

A lot of us are commenting on the booze, so let me add mine. I like Mike's lime the best. Cranberry lemonade second. Pretty much the only time I have these cooler type drinks is in the summer. Your 'dinner for one' is right up my alley.
I've never had faux gelatin but would like to give it a go. Yours sounds so light and refreshing. Perfect for summer.

5:22 AM  
Blogger Harmonia said...

:)

Hi, Hi! My mwm are up!

I foudn kai...but she hasn't commented back yet...

http://kaivegan.com

6:47 AM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

last call ~ i'm gunna have to cut you guys off ~ no more drinkies! it's too distracting. lol! :o)

kleopatra: the agar flakes are like gelatin on steroids! super-jel. i haven't had jell-o forever, & i don't miss it at all. i just wanted to experiment. it's trippy stuff.

ok, leslie, i'm totally curious! what are your issues with the agar flakes? something scientifically sick?

carrie: these are refreshing beverages in the summer, & i really like the cranberry leamonade probably #1.

harmonia: glad you found kai. that was weird.

catherine: hub works out of town sometimes & after the girls go to bed, occasionally i'll eat w/o trying to be a good example! :o)

7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home