Vegetarian Family

A Peek @ Food We Eat & Things We Do!

Monday, September 11, 2006

Art in the Park & Prickly Pear Cactus lemonade

It was the 50th Anniversary for Art in the Park. It's a super popular event in town, featuring 265+ booths with beautiful arts and crafts, children's art and activities, food, drink, and entertainment all in a beautiful park setting. Each year, I look forward to this event....







The girls and I traveled in style. We sported the bicycle and trailer to enjoy the morning and avoid parking & congestion hassles. It was awesome breezing by parked cars idling for parking spaces. We were among the first ones on the scene and so I was able to ride around the vendor's booths to get the lay of the land for about 20 minutes before the foot traffic got too thick -- then I walked the bicycle. Abi was able to stay awake & enjoy even though it was her nap time.



This painting is the only thing I really wanted -- and it probably cost more than everything else at the festival combined -- Muy expensivo, pero muy bonita! Anybody recognize the location of this painting?








The Menu Says:

"That's right! Cactus syrup and our Original lemonade! It's sweet and all natural! The prickly Pear syrup is imported from Arizona. (No artificial color added) The Kids love it!"
I ordered a large - thinking of our AZ bloggers - and was instantly struck by the bright pink color. "No artificial color?" I asked. And as proof she proudly held up a big glass dispenser revealing the deepest pink color I've seen. "Wow, can I take a photo of you with that?" I say. "Give me your camera." she says reaching for it to take mine instead...


She sang the praises of the prickly pear cactus, saying that it is naturally sweet and high in anti-oxidants. It is such a strong & vibrant color, like that of a pomegranate or cranberry - and it tasted very sweet and flavorful.

We continued on -- munching on popcorn, drinking lemonade and taking in all the original art.












I couldn't resist getting the girls aprons from one of the vendors. Liv choose the yellow one with the cat and the fiddle for herself, and the red with the cow jumping over the moon for Abi. They both love wearing them.






21 Comments:

Blogger Shananigans said...

Sounds like a perfectly lovely day! I've wished I had a bike on so many occasions to avoid being in traffic, good on you. Unfortunately our weekly farmers market doesn't allow bikes inside, and the bike parking can get just as cramped as the parking for cars. Those aprons are so cute!

4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, how fun! It seems like you have the best places to go and best things to do--maybe I should come visit you sometime.

Prickly pear cactus syrup... Wow, who would have thought? That's cool!

--laurajesser

6:26 PM  
Blogger Dr. Melissa West said...

Sounds like an awesome day. What a treat with the juice! Love the new aprons. You are getting some great use out of that bike trailer.

6:46 PM  
Blogger turquoise cro said...

That painting is sooooo cool! It reminds me of Venice! Those aprons will sure come in handy!!! XO Did you get a stained glass flower??? Sweet!

6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Art in the Park looks like a really fun event! I love the painting you found. Is it a photo or painting? WOW, I love the colors. I do not recognize it though.

The girls look adorable in the tag a long, and in their aprons!!! So cute! I bet we'll be seeing more of those aprons when they make cookies!! :)

Prickly pear cactus syrup is very pretty! Aww, you look so cute holding it too!

~Candi
http://candi2400.blogspot.com/index.html

2:22 AM  
Blogger bazu said...

Ok, those aprons are seriously the most adorable thing I've seen in a while. And the girls wearing them too! ;-)
Sounds like you had a great day.
The painting reminds me of... the Italian Riviera...? maybe?

7:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great place to live! so many things to do, see, explore and try!
Looks like loads of fun. I bet the girls were excited about their new aprons. Ya mom!

11:29 AM  
Blogger Regina said...

I've got prickly pears in my front yard and really want to pick some and make puree- but, the little prickers are a pain! I will do it- eventually. I bet the lemonade was heavenly!

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yayyy congrats on the tART contest!!

Now I kind of want to try some prickly pear too. And as always.. the girls are too cute :-D

-Tania

1:59 AM  
Blogger village mama said...

Good morning Veggie Mama!

have you checked out Urban Vegan's blog today????? ... will write more later ; )

6:01 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

my bike trailer/jogging stroller is very similar to yours.. is it a chariot?

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great post ! Always like to read about places you go to :)

And Congratulations are in order !!!

7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if the painting was"muy costosa, pero muy bonita" i bet was becouse looks amazing, like a photo!
johanna3

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great place to spend the day! We have some art fairs here but they suck. The ones up north (in the high country) are so much better, probably like the one you went to. That prickly pear lemonade sounds wonderful. I hope it wasn't too costly for you. If you want me to send you some I can.

I love the girls' new aprons. Do I see some more Salad People posts in the future now?!

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATS Vicki on your "Heart tART for Art" win!!

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, it's Meesh from the eph word blog. This beta thing is such a pain.

Sounds like you had a beautiful day! I also seem to have the ability to find the most expensive thing at a store and fall in love with it. (sigh) Champagne tastes and lemonade budget. lol

I had no idea that you could make a drink from a cactus or that it would be so tasy and pink (of all thing!) I'll have to keep an eye out for that at our LA farmers markets and such.

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Art in the Park. Is that a celebration of Mr. Hodge?! :o) Just kidding! I looked at the link, just to be sure! I *heart* Boise for many reasons... this would be another. LOVE the photo of the crafts you show on the top. Soooo colourful, Vicki!

Your girls are just the cutest, whether in the trailer behind the bike or modeling the aprons. Just lovely.

Great painting. Wow, is that stunning or what?! Where is that place? It looks Greek... or Italian... or Parisian!?

Nice to see the natural lemonade, especially the cool prickly pear one. Sounds tasty; looks beautiful! And speaking of beautiful... you look so adorable in that photo! Glad the worker took the pic of you holding the liquid.

Hoping to see you soon!

7:42 PM  
Blogger funwithyourfood said...

wow that is PINK
I'm liking the new aprons. I can't wait to see them in action :)

teddy

8:43 PM  
Blogger Carrieā„¢ said...

Yahoo Vicki!! Go to Urban's blog. I guess you've figured out by the posts that you won the tART contest. YEA VICKI!!

7:25 PM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

Wow, I'm completely surprised and honored about Urban Vegan's tART contest! I've been out of town, and just found out - thanks for coming by to help me celebrate!! :o)

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home