Vegetarian Family

A Peek @ Food We Eat & Things We Do!

Sunday, September 10, 2006

La Bicyclette & Les Legumes Vert

This is how we spent the morning -- on bikes with the cool-cloudy breeze all around, rushing river beside us, and the green tree canopy overhead. It was lovely. We packed a picnic of water and pb&j sandwiches and apples.








Smoothies are the best after some exercise. In the glass is a great blend of:

Fresh --- pineapple, peach, mango, banana, OJ
Frozen --- strawberries, water (ice!)

I also made 'Peanut Butter Cupcakes' from La Dolce Vegan! pg. 239 - We were pretty hungry, and they disappeared quickly sans photo. I'm still confused about the differences between muffins and cupcakes. What are the rules?



It was a bicyclin' kind of day, so we popped this inexpensive bottle of French red. It went perfectly with...











a green salad! This bowl consisted of:

Butter Lettuce
Red Butter Lettuce
Red Bell Pepper
Green Onion
Tomatoes (from the garden!)






Kale might be our favorite vegetable (we prefer VwaV 'Garlicky Kale' pg. 120) and I still had some Asian Tempest garlic around. You also see steamed asparagus & red bell pepper, which was added to the veats bites when they were finished cooking. There's also collard greens, which we think turns out best in the rice cooker with a little water and earth balance & sea salt -- that's it! Art cooked the Veats Bites with a small amout of basic bbq sauce. This is our favorite kind of meal --- Green!


13 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Melissa West said...

Love the greens Vicki! Sounds like you had a great day! The smoothie looks fantastic - I need to get more creative with my combinations. Loved the red wine part!

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This all looks so delicious!!!!

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG - I have to buy a bottle of that wine. It's so cute. I always judge my wine by the bottle...I know I shouldn't but I just can't help it. I hope i can find it at my liquor store!

megan the vegan

7:58 PM  
Blogger Carrieā„¢ said...

Yesterday was soooo nice here too. All of your food looks wonderfully delicious. I like those Veat bites and nuggets and the recipes on the back of the boxes are actually very good too. How was the wine? I've seen Red Bicyclette here, so Megan will have no trouble finding it. Was it yummy?

2:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Biking Riding....what a wonderful way to spend a morning. Your smoothie sounds absolutely delicious. Mmmmm. And your dinner looks fantastic. I'm a big fan of Kale too. Yum!

5:00 AM  
Blogger village mama said...

we're kale lovers too! Maybe we could start a Kale Klub hee hee ; )

In think the only 2 differences between cupcakes and muffins is that the former are normally iced and are normally smaller.

7:16 AM  
Blogger Harmonia said...

Sounds like fun! Love the pics! :)

Glad your weekend was a nice one!

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure about the muffin/cupcake thing.. I think muffins are supposed to be healthier, but many recipes that I've seen are just cake in disguise.. so there... hehe.

I love your bike riding.. smoothies are always good after a nice ride..

-melody
(melomeals.blogspot.com)

9:50 AM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

me too, megan! i love wine labels & it was a good bottle, carrie. well worth the price.

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what are these veat bites? never heard of those..
sounds like you had a great day, eh?
and your plate -o- green goodness looks fab! but, I must admitt.. i have never tried to cook Kale.. maybe now is the time!

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had never heard of those Veat things, either. I'm checking out the site now. I have to say, I love the looks of your dinner, with all of the vegetables and then the smoothie with all of the fruit. So healthy and tasty! Cherie

3:11 PM  
Blogger turquoise cro said...

I have that same wine Miss Vickster!!! Soooo it was yummy?!! Those lucky lil' gals are having soooo much FUN in their bicycle van aren't they??? Wonderful memories!!! for them! XO

6:44 PM  
Blogger bazu said...

Love your post- our dinners are usually like that, full of greens. Mmmmm, kale.

I think the differences between muffins and cupcakes is that muffins are technically a bread and cupcakes are cakes. We should ask Alton Brown!

7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home