Vegetarian Family

A Peek @ Food We Eat & Things We Do!

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The Bouquet

While Art unpacked his equipment, I kept an eye on the unlocked car & his gear in the alley behind The Bouquet, a bar where he had a gig. The headliner canceled at the last minute, so Art said he'd do it 1 week before. He wanted to have some friends play with him, so he invited Louie to play his electronic drum kit, and Louie said they should have this girl sit in and sing on a couple songs ~ Bjork style. They never practiced, and the first time Art met the singer was just before going on stage. Don't the guys in the other group have a cute VW Van?


Others have had time to kill in this alley ~ they entertained themselves by wallpapering an air-conditioner with stickers. Wish I would have had one of our "Mother Trucker" stickers on me that Tom had printed up as a joke and always gives away. I like the way things look when they are close together, like a quilt or mosaic.





Being the wife of a musician, I find myself alone plenty of times in bars or venues. Sometimes friends will join me, but most of the time it's me, myself, & I at the performance. I'm fine with that ~ I always have my camera to keep me company, and I don't mind sitting or dancing by myself, and Art doesn't care when I dance with others ~ I rarely turn down an invitation to dance! Here's a glamorous self-portrait near the toilet. I like brown ~ it's my color.


Art had his DJ turntables to spin & scratch records including "Beats & Breaks" and some of his original music ("Rocket Up" on myspace). He had a bunch of his equipment there including synthesizers and mixers, while Louie kicked mad beats. It was contagious dance music and people couldn't help but move.






It was awesome to have some dancers to watch! The girls' conversation earlier that night went something like this, "wear jeans with black shoes & a black short sleeved shirt. oh, and don't forget the watch & black belt." Oh, and I know we're a little behind the times, but check out James Dean there ~ he was wearing 501 jeans rolled up at the bottom with old fashioned paten leather shoes & a plain white T-shirt. His hair was slicked back just like John Travolta's in Grease. Oh, and you can see Art above just above the "blond-twin-dancer-girl".

10 Comments:

Blogger funwithyourfood said...

wow-o
i didn't know your hasband was a musician. that is neat. Looks like a lot of fun too..

Teddy

PS cute pink VW
:)

7:23 AM  
Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

hey...fun for you! how often does he play?

i like the quilted a/c too. very nice.

not a fan of the VW but my boyfriend sure as shit is. in fact, i want to buy a huge house, he wants to live in a VW van. well...as long as it's on acreage.

nice self portrait and b'room...hhahaha...you funny girrl.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Eat Peace Please said...

Great post Vicki. I am in the exact same boat about being at a gig with myself, me and I!!! I feel for you 100% and I don't mind being there alone most of the time either. Sometimes there are other band member's ladies there, othertimes just me!

Great photos and I like that bus too. Did I also tell you that brown is my favorite color also?!

10:07 AM  
Blogger Luna said...

hi vicki, you're right, brown's your color, you look great with a simple look! and i love the scarf i wear them often too.
Vw van, "flower power" :-) ?i like it, the color is nice, i've always seen it it yellow or green but pink's better !

11:41 AM  
Blogger Dori said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Dori said...

Sorry about the delete.

Sounds fun... the music life. DH was a sound man for a group when I met him back in his not so domesticated days.

So basic black shirts and shoes is the style for a night out on the town. I'll have to keep that in mind (this would require that I lose my denim shortall "farmer dori" look).

I'm a brown too.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Catherine Weber said...

I wish I had that van. Bad.

Not being the S.O. of a musician, I don't mind going to see bands play by myself, except for that whole "getting to the car after safely" part. :) I saw my friend Dan's band play not too long ago all by my lonesome, and I had a blast! I talked to Dan for a long time after their set, so any girlfriend I dragged along would have been bored anyhow.

Those twin dancing chicks are HOTT. Yes, that's with two "T"s. :) I love people-watching at clubs! At least their hair colors are different. :)

Farmer Dori, we need pictures! ;-)

Oh -- and brown does look really good on me, but my standby is black. Or olive green -- I have hazel eyes.

5:37 PM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

he doesn't play live that often, though he totally enjoys it. he mainly produces bands in the studio, or his original music. at least right now ~ it is ever evolving.

luna, is wearing scarves a european thing? after visiting france, i caught the scarf bug & shopped a scarf shop or two.

leslie, dori, + myself = favorite color is brown (i've finally found my people! you 2 are the first brown lovers that i've met)

i have a favorite denim shirt also, dori & i think a farmer would be ashamed to wear it because of all the holes! :)

i remember a post of yours, catherine...where you bought yet another black shirt, & how you decided to go for details to distinguish one shirt from another. i do that with brown!

9:08 PM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

Ah, the new avatar, Vicki!!! Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice!! When you gonna come visit me in San Diego? We'll hit PB and take a new photo... what do you say?

LOVE the VB bug. Is that PURPLE? Oy, i love it. Nice trash bin there, too, quite colourful...

I've dated and lived with a couple of musicians in my (sordid) past and can surely identify with the "lifestyle" you mention... it's not for everyone, that's for sure!

Those stickers bring back a rush of memories as well.

Love the self-portrait in the bathroom. Another relate-able sitch... you look great, btw!

Everyone at the gig there looks like they're having a regular blast. So cool... hope you had fun. Seems like you did.

Go, surfer girl!

12:13 AM  
Blogger Eat Peace Please said...

You are the first 2 brown lovers I've ever met too!

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home