Vegetarian Family

A Peek @ Food We Eat & Things We Do!

Monday, June 19, 2006

Sesame Asparagus, Maple-Mustard-Glazed Potatoes and String Beans, & Portobello Mushroom Burgers

The 'Sesame Asparagus' recipe is from VwaV (pg. 124) and is the new house standard for straight up asparagus. It is a basic recipe which enhances the flavor of the vegetable ~ not covering it up. I was without rice vinegar, so I substituted red wine, and they are topped with toasted black sesame seeds.







I had intended for the 'Maple-Mustard-Glazed Potatoes and String Beans' from VwaV (p. 113) to go with the Portobello Burger, but I only skimmed the recipe and didn't notice that it takes over an hour to make. So, I whipped up the asparagus quickly for the meal, and continued with the potatoes & beans. The flavors in this dish are perfect, I just finished the last of it cold from the fridge. The recipe calls for yellow onion, but we didn't have that on hand so we went with one red onion.

Here is the potato dish out of the oven. We sampled a few spuds, then put the rest in the fridge. My daughters ate some for lunch, we had some the following dinner, & I just finished the last as a snack. The flavor is a blend, as there is no one flavor that sticks out. It's a small secret in our home that I really don't like mushrooms. However, I did gag down a few bites of the portabello burger. Art sauteed it in a tablespoon of butter for 5 minutes, turning once, and adding cheese and a lid for the last minute. It was tasty, but I didn't finish my burger. Just a bite of a mushroom is a big deal for me, so I'd say the portabello burgers were good, served on onion buns with lettuce, tomato, ketchup and mustard.

7 Comments:

Blogger mess talker said...

gosh, that looks tasty

3:07 PM  
Blogger Eat Peace Please said...

Eew, I don't like mushrooms either but all the other foods look really great here. I like the first photo how it's all greenness.

When you were talking about the butter and the cheese are you talking vegan or cow stuff?

4:47 PM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

Awwww... i dig mushrooms (not literally, but i do love 'em...) They're not for everyone, i know it. I used to not appreciate them in any shape or form... now, grilled portabellos are one of my fave things! One of my best buds is not a fan of onions and i can hardly go a day w/out 'em!

Everything you made looks so good, Vicki. (As usual!)

5:29 PM  
Blogger funwithyourfood said...

no mushrooms eh??
ALL mushrooms? aww too bad
but the potatoes look good. I love roasted, well anything. It really brings out great flavors.

way to go with trying the burger.. that's pretty good of a non- mushroom eater :)

teddy

8:08 PM  
Blogger Catherine Weber said...

Vicki, I used to hate mushrooms, too. Hated them with my entire being. And then a weird thing happened -- I was served a breaded portobello mushroom cap at my cousin's wedding, and I was so darn hungry I ate a few bites of it. And then a few more bites of it. And then . . . ta da! I love mushrooms now. It's weird, but fun -- opened up a whole new vegetable to me!

Did you know that your tastebuds completely regenerate in 10 years? (Meaning, every bud on your tongue right now will be completely different in 10 years.) Try them again, just wait awhile. :) 10 years might be a long time to wait, though!

8:18 PM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

hi wes: thanks for your comment!

hi leslie: cow stuff ~ art was cooking the mushroom burgers & made them the way he wanted.

hi catherine: interesting info about tastebuds ~ i keep trying mushrooms & like them a teensie bit sometimes.

thanks for coming by kleopatra & teddy!

9:11 AM  
Blogger Regina said...

Looks so delicious!!

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home