Vegetarian Family

A Peek @ Food We Eat & Things We Do!

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Midweek Munchies

I grabbed my canvas shopping bag and headed to the Co-op for some midweek munchies:

1. Silk Vanilla Soymilk
2. Silk Chocolate Soymilk
3. Silk Vanilla Creamer (giving it a try...hopefully to replace my dairy creamer)
4. Nate's Black Bean & Soy Cheese Taquitos (Super delicious!)
5. Vegetarian Chicken Drumsticks with curry sauce (trying this for the first time...we LOVE their citrus sparerib cutlets)
6. Morningstar Farms Nine Bean Veggie Loaf (I've never seen this before...Is it new?)
7. Dr. McDougall's Peach Raspberry Oatmeal & Barley Hot Cereal
8. Amy's Beans & Rice Burrito
9. Hand of Bananas
10. A Bunch of Carrots
11. All the small Gold Beets they had
12. Half price napkins that look a lot like my Jolie
13. 2 Kiwi (we ate these before the picture was taken)

Some disappointing strike-outs:
1. Tofu Pups -- they were totally sold out (Liv will only eat these...don't even try to substitute)
2. Logodent Kid's Strawberry Dental Gel (I'm bummed to find out that they no longer sell this product)
3. Tamari & Flax Seed (Not enough time to hunt for these...I've never cooked with either...I see them mentioned a lot @ other blogs....Any advice/information for me?)

10 Comments:

Blogger Carrieā„¢ said...

Hi Vicki! Thanks for commenting on my blog. I left you a reply.
This one looks great! I'll be back to visit so I can look more AFTER work. I'm wasting time this morning and am now running way behind.
BTW, your shopping goodies look great!

4:32 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

i love Amy's bean and veggie burrito! they are my fave convience food, when i don't feel like cookin'!

4:32 AM  
Blogger Harmonia said...

Tofu Pups ROCK! :) Let me know how you like the "creamer". I've never seen the McDougall's items! I will have to google that! Sounds great! Thanks for participating this week! I will link you! I just posted mine.

I just recently got into Tamari and also Flax Seeds/Meal. Haven't done too much with Flax yet other than on salads.

Tamari you can find in the Asian Foods Section...at least that is where I found it. Another thing that Dreena (http://vivelevegan.blogspot.com) got me into is Hoisin Sauce - also in the Asian Foods Section.


Great list!

5:57 AM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

Hi Michelle! Thanks for stopping by. I really like Amy's too -- I'm yet to try all her stuff. What's your favorite Amy??

6:41 AM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

ok, I just read the "fine print" on Nate's Taquitos (black bean & SOY cheese) -- and it is not vegan! Why use soy cheese if you're going to go and put casein in it?! This may be over-reacting, but that seems a bit like false advertising to me. Anyhow, I'm going to try and make my own next time....and I'm also going to take them up on their invitation to comment on their product at www.elenasfood.com

10:02 AM  
Blogger Alanna Kellogg said...

Hi Vicki - Thanks for stopping by The Veggie Evangelist, I'm just now updating the lists and you're IN! Alanna

2:48 PM  
Blogger Alanna Kellogg said...

Oops. I thought I had. But Blogger for some reason has tagged the site as a spam site. What's with that?? Anyway I've submitted what needs to be submitted to fix it but it could take a bit.

3:23 PM  
Blogger Catherine Weber said...

Vicki,

Tamari is fancy soy sauce, as far as I can tell.

Flaxseed is a good, veg source of omega-3s. Most recommend buying them whole and grinding them as you need them, although I'll grind a bunch at a time and store them in my freezer. A coffee grinder works best for this. (I only have one grinder, and before I grind flaxseed, I clean it out with a pastry brush, then grind up a slice of bread and dump out the crumbs. The bread gets rid of the coffee smell, usually.)

You can add flax to baked goods, sprinkle it on hot cereal, mix it into yogurt, add it to granola or smoothies, or anywhere you won't be bothered by a slightly nutty taste.

7:20 PM  
Blogger turquoise cro said...

Love the napkins!!! LOL Be home Monday, a Birthday Box is coming your way, I'd say Monday! We mailed it yesterday! Wooooo Hoooo!

8:20 AM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

Harmonia: The creamer is OK...better than black...I could get used to it.
Just click my link to Dr. McDougall's...
Thanks for the tip on tamari & hoisin sauce...I'll put it on my munchie list!

Thanks, Alanna! Love your blog.

Nifty trick with the bread in the coffee grinder, catherine!

Got the birthday box, Cinda! You are so good to us -- LOVE YOU!

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home