Vegetarian Family

A Peek @ Food We Eat & Things We Do!

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

pete's tofu 2 go

I had to pick up some dog food for Jolie and decided to look around at what our large chain grocery store had to offer in the way of vegan products. I wasn't expecting much, but I got sorta excited when I saw Pete's tofu 2 go flavored desserts. I was hoping that perhaps this could replace Liv's yougert that she loves so much. It has a bright/cheery package and there were 3 varieties to choose from (very berry, peach/mango, and key lime) and as you can see I went with the green in honor of it being March. It comes with two single-serve trays (not recyclable...there's a 5 on the bottom) and little plastic spoons are included! Now that's cute...picnic worthy. So bravely, I put my spoon where my spoon has not gone before. Ughh - gasp - arghhh - Nobody was looking....so I spit it out. The consistency was limp with water pools, and it was kinda chalky, and the lime flavor wasn't strong/tangy enough to overcome those defects. "OK, but what did you really think?" I thought it was nasty. Tell me, have you tried this? Wonder if Shmoo would like it? He can have my other half.

5 Comments:

Blogger Eat Peace Please said...

Hi. I just found you via Harmonia, as I am participating in Midweek Munchies as well. I tried one of those Pete's flavors one time (possibly the Thai Ginger if there is such a kind). I thought it was equally as nasty. Then, I tried those mini cubes for a super-emergency when I was still buying mostly pre-made, pre-packaged items, and this too was mushy and not worth swallowing. I have been suprised to see how long these products have been in the stores, as they are not tasty, hot or cold. Do you ever marinate your own tofu?

3:09 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

I always wondered if that stuff was good--thanks for the heads up!

btw, have you tried Silk soy yougurt? It's tasty.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

Ok, Julie, I'm now on the look out for silk soy yougert!

EatPeacePlease: My husband is the king of marination! His absolute fav is Soy Vay.

6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the cubes by petes, the seseme ginger ones are delicious if you fry then in olive oil, its the only tofu i can stand now that i discovered it
my 8 month old loves it too..
i would never go back to cold tofu again

4:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to use Pete's plain tofu extra firm until my store quit selling it. It is the only tofu that I like to use, as it is quite firm and marinates well. I like to make tofu bites with it but, alas, I can't find it anymore.

6:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home